33: More than Meets the Eye

Fancy. That was Lex's first thought as they pulled into the parking lot of the mall. It was grand compared to places she's shopped at. It was deeper into the city, but still one of the less populated suburbs. The idea of a mall wasn't foreign to her, but she rarely ever went to one.

"Shopping shopping shopping!" Felix cheered, doing a little dance as he got out of the car. Felix had insisted on joining their shopping trip, and who was Lex to refuse him? He was already making it more fun. She also liked his sense of fashion too.

"Felix, have I ever told you how great I think you are?"

"No, but you can start now."

"You can tell me how great I am cause I just did that reverse park in one go." Minho put on his sunglasses and got out of the car as if he was a celebrity. Which he was in his own way.

"Your driving was great, Minho, and not at all detrimental to my life at any point," Hyunjin said sarcastically, bowing after every few words. Minho was prone to road rage at the slightest provocation. It was honestly entertaining, but all hands were gripping the grab handle.

Minho stood with his arms akimbo. "That guy was asking for it. Was I supposed to just submit and slow down?"

"When there are kids in the car, yes." Lex grabbed Minho's arm as they strolled on the crossing. Lex was sitting at the front and could see Felix and Hyunjin holding on for dear life from the rearview mirror.

Hyunjin gasped. "We are not kids!"

"Imagine being born in the 2000s." Lex teased, throwing a glance over her shoulder.

Felix rounded up on her. "You're literally 2 months off of being born in 2000."

"So I get the right to be like all those annoying millennial TikTokers you keep sending me." Lex poked Felix's side.

"Whatever, grandma."

"Hey!"

They bumped each other on the way in. There was a wide variety of stores. Clothing, sports, video games, bookstores, a food court! Things she had never seen before or remembered. They walked past several shops that Lex avoided going in, she refused to spend more than 50 dollars on a shirt.

She was used to thrifting and buying from third party companies. What was the point, they all came from the same place anyway. Only, bigger cooperations were profiting off exploitation. She was here to buy clothes, but she looked at cheaper options.

Their first stop was H&M. Their price range varied, but there were some good picks for under 40 dollars. Hyunjin was trying on a bunch of beanies with Felix while Minho helped Lex pick out clothes. Lex drifted to the section with simple styles, which happened to be the men's section.

"I'm starting to sense your style a little more," Minho commented as she rifled through the rack of the black sweaters with a logo for her size. Minho held two of the plain coloured t-shirts she had picked out.

"What do you mean? You didn't get that from the clothes I already wear?"

"To be honest, I thought that was a broke thing," Minho said with a grimace.

"Fuck off." Lex laughed and shoved Minho. They nearly bumped into a middle-aged woman, who glared at them even after apologising. They shuffled away from her before she yelled at them.

"It's not bad though. Dress how you want."

"I just don't dig the blouses, but it's not like I'm opposed to women's clothing." Lex rifled through the racks for a nice pair of pants. "I don't even think we should gender clothing."