1: Revelation

Lex clicked the lighter several times before it decided to eject a small flame. She hovered it over the gas stove and pulled back once it flickered on. She placed a pot of water on top of the stove to boil. By around 8 she had returned home to her place in an old motel. It was run down and sketchy but it was still well structured and had sturdy locks, which was more than enough for her. Her place had a small living room and kitchen, a bathroom, and one bedroom. Most of her furniture had rips and odd stains and her bed was a cozy mattress on the floor. There was only one window in the place, and it was in the kitchen where the sunlight could brighten it during the day.

Once the water came to a boil, Lex ripped open a pack of noodles and plopped it in. Noodles were dirt cheap from the right shop and saved her a lot of money. She then emptied her bag into the chipped dining table to assess her gatherings. The phone chargers she would be able to get rid of easily as people were always in need of it. The hardest ones might be the consoles, as people were always wary of second-hand devices, especially ones sold cheap. Those she would have to factory reset later before selling.

Along with the occasional house robbery, Lex typically took smaller jobs for other people that didn't want their hands dirty. Such as stealing the mead for Barry. She was paid decent money for that. Which paid her rent, and additional money went towards foods and other products. Sometimes it crossed her mind whether she'd be caught someday, and be turned in for all the possessions she's nicked over the last few years. Lex didn't have any close contacts that could be traced back to her. No friends or family that knew her. The contacts she did have couldn't care less where she got her money from, as long as it was handed to them. She just had to be mindful of who she associated with for those reasons. Then it also crossed her mind that she didn't really care where she might end up because she felt her life wasn't really getting anywhere. She was just living it out day by day.

The flat she lived in, she moved in 2 years earlier when she was 19. The rent was cheap and that was when she began her methods of thievery. It was in a remote area and everyone basically minded their own business. She could have her own motorbike inside her flat as there were no stairs to reach her house.

Shrugging the thought off like she always did, she turned her attention back to her noodles. She mixed around the noodles with a pair of chopsticks before turning off the stove. She emptied some of the water into the cute little cactus plant in the kitchen. The cactus plant was a small house gift she bought herself when she moved it. It was a small thing that made her happy, and the tiny flower sprouting on it brought a smile to her face. After adding the flavouring packet, she set it aside to cool as she swiped all the items back into her bag. She walked into her bedroom and stuffed the bag into her closet before returning to the kitchen. Lounging on the couch, she ate her noodles straight from the pot as she watched some animal documentary on TV. After she ate, she set out to work on the consoles.

By midnight she was done with resetting all the data on the devices. A skill she picked up from the older kids at the orphanage she grew up in. They had found it in a park and brought it back to play. After tucking away the loot again, she got ready for bed. Lex changed into a sweatshirt and shorts before climbing into bed and settling under the sheets. She pulled the blanket all the way up to her chin to keep out the cold and turned over.

~

Within a week, she managed to get rid of most of the items. As expected, the chargers went quickly. The five full chargers, cable, and adaptor included, she managed to sell for $15 each. The consoles were the ones she had the most trouble selling, only managing to sell one out of the three. But it fetched her a high price.

The next location she was going to was Ballarat City, which was 30 minutes away from where she lived. From the areas she scoped out on her motorbike, she chose a room that was at the end of an alleyway and connected to another one. The room seemed abandoned but she didn't doubt that there might be some stuff in there. On the following Thursday, she suited up and prepared to arrive at the location.

Lex decided to drive her car this time as she didn't want her motorbike being left on the streets, in the open where anyone could take it. She scoffed at the irony as she tossed the backpack over her shoulders. Her car was small but stable and could carry her to places without trouble. She hopped into her car that she parked in front of her motel room and set off to the place.

Lex arrived at the place half an hour later with no complications and exited her car. She pulled her hood over her head further as she trotted down the designated alleyway, one hand in her pocket. She always carried a switchblade with her in case she got attacked. But she promised herself she would only use it in extreme situations. Through all the misdeeds that she committed, murder was something that disturbed her. Shaking off the thoughts, she got to the entrance of the room and analysed it. She figured it'd be more convenient to pick the lock again, there were two bobby pins in her back pocket. But it'd be easier to break the window beside it.

Standing sideways, she brought up an elbow and pulled it back before ramming it hard into the glass window. Her elbow throbbed from it, but the two jackets she was wearing cushioned it slightly. She smacked away some remaining bits of glass with the flashlight she pulled from her bag.

Lex slyly slipped through the cracked window, carefully avoiding the jagged parts. Her plan was to enter through that window, scavenge whatever valuables would bring her a decent amount of money, follow the rooms through and exit out of the door on the next alleyway. She landed smoothly on her feet, which surprisingly made no sound and didn't echo like she thought. Pressing the flashlight on, she pushed away some empty boxes with her foot and began searching the room. The room was fairly small with concrete walls and floors, it almost looked like a garage. She could hear the steady drip of water somewhere in the room, and the room was shrouded in darkness.

Lex rummaged through the room, knocking over things carelessly placed on the shelves and the boxes that were filled with gimmicky items. So far she had managed to snag a portable DVD player, a couple of phone chargers, and a small box of rings. She was glad that searching here wasn't a waste of time after all.

A loud clang echoed through the room as she knocked over one particularly small metal can filled with coins. She cringed at the sound and paused for a moment as the sound slowly died out as the coins stopped moving. The consistent dripping of water could still be heard. Then she carried on searching, poking her flashlight into small grooves for any hidden valuables. The sound of faint rustling caught her hearing and had her head perking up. She froze to keep an ear out.

"Those don't belong to you," A gentle but firm voice spoke from behind her, followed by the familiar click of a gun, "Drop them."

~~~

Published: 21st July 2020

Who do you think it is? Ö
Any feedback is appreciated, please vote if you enjoy it :D