7: Proposition

"Are you insane?!" Chan shouted, eyes wide in shock. He didn't trust her to begin with, but having her in the gang? That screamed all sorts of red flags to him.

"I know it sounds like a lot but please hear me out." Minho had just proposed the idea he'd been thinking about over the last week. He was currently experiencing Chan's wrath, which he had expected. Minho had introduced the idea of having his best friend Lex join the gang. He decided it was worth a try. He was so excited to have her back in his life and wanted to spend more time with her.

"Since when do we play invites? Only you know her, Minho."

"Please, give me a chance. She is not a threat to us."

"Tell me why you think this is a good idea."

"She'll be a useful addition."

"We've been doing fine on our own as 8." Chan closed his eyes and sighed, his lips in a tight line. He didn't speak for a few minutes and seemed to be in deep thought. Minho waited patiently as rushing him could eliminate any chances of Chan considering his notion. He could understand why Chan was resistant, it made sense. But he also knew that Chan trusted him.

"Minho, think about what you're asking. You remember what happened with Woojin right? What makes you think that can't happen again. We don't know her."

The mention of Woojin shocked Minho. They hadn't talked about him in ages, and when they did it was with bitter hatred. Minho wasn't sure how to go about it after but was determined.

"I know Chan, but trust me on this. I know her."

"We all thought we knew Woojin too. Each of us trusted him with everything." Chan now seemed sad as he recalled years back. "And he still managed to stab us in the back."

Minho didn't have a response to that. He was right. They had loved Woojin like their own brother. And here he was requesting a complete stranger to join the gang. Minho stayed quiet as he thought about his next words. Thankfully Chan spoke up after noticing the silence.

"I don't like this idea, I want you to know that. But I trust you. I'll call a meeting tonight with everyone. You're gonna convince them why letting her in will be a good idea."

~

An hour later, Chan and the other six members were all seated in a circle facing each other. Some were exhausted and finished arguing, others not so much. The ones who were against still had fight left in them. They all differed and he knew it would be hard to decide. It was now almost time for their final decision.

"I think she will be useful," Minho reasoned, "She's stealthy like me and experienced in combat."

"But can we trust her?" Hyunjin asked for what seemed like the 100th time, crossing his arms. This seemed to be the outgoing issue as to why they resisted.

"I know her, we were the closest in that orphanage." Minho paced slowly through the room. "She doesn't care about pleasing the government. We can trust her."

"Are you sure you know her? It's been 6 years like you said, and people change."

"We found her scavenging through our things for money, you don't think she might still do that to us?" Changbin asked calmly. He seemed to be against her but wasn't as aggressive as Hyunjin.

"Do you truly think she's a threat?"

"She had you at gunpoint."

"I would've had her at gunpoint if I got to it first, but she did." Minho could tell the ones that disagreed weren't convinced. Suddenly he remembered something that might help him. "She also has useful gear. The other day she told me she found a cellular jammer."

"Found or stolen?"

"Does it matter?"

Some of the members, including Chan, shared a look. Minho wasn't sure about the weight of his words but felt like he hit the jackpot when Seungmin looked like he was reconsidering. Some of the others seemed impressed and realised she'd have valuable assets, making her useful.

"What's her full name again?" Chan asked, thumbing at his lip. He was reluctant about Minho's proposition, but trusted him and knew he wouldn't suggest it if he didn't mean it. Still, he had to be cautious. It would also be a bit odd since she was a woman. Not that he had anything against her, he would've been doubtful either way. The gang had 8 males, that's sure to cause a bit of dispute at some point. Then again, what would he know?

"Alexis Hayes," Minho stated proudly. "If anything, she should be hesitant to trust me."

They all gave each other knowing looks, a few whispering to each other. Minho sat back down, crossing his legs as he let them move closer and discuss it. He always wondered what Lex would end up doing, and found some mad satisfaction that they were in the same position. Hustling for dirty money.

From the huddled group, Minho could hear whispering, some sounding furious and some quiet and inaudible. A sudden thought crossed his mind while he was waiting. What if she didn't want to join? Found the idea stupid? The whispering ceased and Minho sat up straight as they all turned to look at him.

"I'm not keen on this idea. Especially with a stranger. You understand why, right?" Chan paused and waited for him to nod before continuing, "It's a 4-3 vote, but that doesn't mean yes, I get the final say. I need to see what she's like and how she works with the rest of your companions. If she's trouble, she's not staying."

Minho took a moment to comprehend his words, reading between the lines. It wasn't a no but also wasn't a yes. He supposed that was generous enough from Chan since it could've been a hard no.

"Thank you, Chan."

Chan concluded the meeting and some started to exit the room. Minho stood up but was stopped by Chan who asked for him to stay back. When it was only the two of them in the room, Chan turned to him. Chan seemed calmer. Minho thought it was because half of the members agreed.

"Look, personally I'm not sure about it, but I'm willing to give it a chance. If you want her here, you'll have to spend more time with her, get to know her again. The Lex you knew years ago could be different now. We can't afford the mistake of trusting her, Minho."

"If she's trouble to any of the others, she's gone. We take care of our own first, understand?" That was one of Chan's last requests. Of course, there was a chance she wouldn't want to join, in that case, it would be great. However, he had a feeling she would accept. Minho nodded. He was initially glad that his childhood best friend had the opportunity to work with him, but now he also felt anxious about the responsibility he now held. If Lex messed up it was on him. Suddenly he wasn't as excited anymore.

Chan seemed to pick up on this and his expression softened. He sighed and turned to the ground. When he looked back at Minho, he pulled him in for a hug. Minho was surprised but eventually wrapped his arms around him.

"You know I care about all of you?" Chan murmured. Through his authoritative demeanour, he was also not afraid to show he cared about each of his members. He viewed them as equals, and they all respected him and trusted him as their leader. That's why they functioned well as a team.

"Yeah, we know. Don't worry." Minho patted him on the back then let go of him. He turned to leave but was stopped by Chan again.

"Another thing, Min." Chan placed a hand on his shoulder. "Before it becomes official, I'd like to personally speak with her too."

Minho nodded. "Understood."

~

Published: 11/7/21