67: Watch Your Step

Once Lex had calmed herself down to a coherent state, she opened up the chat with Chaeyoung again, past the horrific image and to the previous messages. Never had she had an episode like this. It came as such a shock to her, she wasn't even sure how to react. Chan wrapped an arm around her and could feel her trembling.

Above the photo were the many previous messages Chaeyoung left. Lex started from the oldest to the newest. The first message dated back to November, right after Chan had ended things the first time. She could recall the message coming in while she was moping over him.

November 4th 2020

8:32pm 'Hey, I know you don't want to speak to me anymore but I heard some people asking about you the other day.'

8:33pm 'I'm not trying to scare you but I'm just letting you know.'

This had been the first time Chaeyoung messaged her after Lex had declared she was no longer coming back to Casanova. It had been on the day she had gone back to her motel after Chan had tried to end things between them, only to come back to her days later. Lex's excuse that time was her grief. Why would she care about her while her love life fell apart?

November 12th 2020

9:16pm 'Lex, I'm serious. I'm saying this for your sake."

December 16th 2020

12:28am 'I don't even know if you're alive or not. Please just respond, then I'll leave you be.'

December 18th 2020

4:57pm 'I think they're after me too. I don't know what else to say.'

January 8th 2021

10:21pm 'meet me at the bayton warehouse. there's something I need to tell you.'

10:21pm 'this is important.'

Lex tossed her phone onto her pillow and buried her head into her hands. The clear shift in her texts implied that it was no longer Chaeyoung texting her. Was it to lure her out? She sucked in a deep breath when she made a chilling realisation. The blue chalk on her hand that day, she could barely remember it. It must've meant Chaeyoung was marked too, from how she ended up. What they tried to do to me. But why Chaeyoung? As far as Lex knew, only she was pissing people off. Then again, she didn't know the other woman very well.

And of course, the last message was the threat and the image that would scar her for as long as she lived. If she had just opened it all earlier...

"Fuck!" Lex shouted, standing up abruptly to pace around their small room. She couldn't sit still, it made her self conscious. The fear, guilt, confusion, was too much to handle. 

"Lex..." Chan placed a hand softly on her shoulder but she lightly shook him off, continuing her nervous pace.

What was her next step from here? She couldn't ignore this now, not she after was directly threatened. The worst part was not knowing who was after her. The most obvious answer was the people that owned the contract papers, but it could be anyone. Why was Chaeyoung involved? How would they even know she knew the blonde woman. Unless they had seen them at Casanova bar.

"We prepared for this, remember? That's why we're here. As long as we remain vigilant, you'll be okay, we'll be okay."

"No no, clearly fucking not. Did you even see her? They- they-" Lex's face contorted and she turned away, unable to finish her sentence. She gulped and blinked away tears. "Fuck. I bet it has something to do with Casanova. That's the only way they'd know I knew Chaeyoung and even message from her phone."