23: Follow the Waters

Lex ended up at HQ, planning the next mission, sooner than she had expected. She was getting used to it, being involved in the preparation. She was allowed to be informed about their deeper plans. She even got to work on some of their computers. It was becoming more common to have her over.

If Lex was being honest, she was hoping she'd get another opportunity to stay at HQ again. It would save her driving over every time, but she wasn't going to ask. No way was she going to ask for favours from Chan. Each time she returned home, she found herself missing Minho, and even Jeongin and Felix.

Chan issued a new mission shortly after her first payout. It was a meeting that was supposedly taking place at a warehouse. She was informed it was high risk, so it was vital that they were properly equipped before going. They said the gang they were meeting weren't rivals, but not people they would trust. That wasn't comforting.

There were minimal details and the reason for the meeting was vague. Even Chan wasn't sure, he was hesitant about it even though he pretended he wasn't.

What surprised her the most was that every member was going. The only time they went as a whole gang that she knew of, was the night she met Minho. It was a weird twist of fate that she stumbled across him that night, it still stumped her every time she thought about it.

Imagine what would've happened if she had successfully looted their hideout and escaped into the night. Where would she be now, months later? Alone. Risking her ass by breaking into places she shouldn't, getting beaten into ring fights. Living a meaningless life with hopes for the better. She shuddered thinking about it. If this gang was all she had right now, she would accept the bad for the good.

Yes, maybe it was worth it.

~

One afternoon, Lex was helping out with preparation. An odd metal box needed to be repaired. Upon further inspection, it was a safe box. At first, Lex thought it was the one she was required to open before remember she completely busted it. She wondered why they didn't just buy a new one, as it seemed like they had the funds for it. Felix told her in passing that it would save money, and it was a learning activity.

Learning activity? What were they, five? He reiterated that it was an opportunity to gain a skill in reparation. That was something she could understand. Hyunjin was the one working on the safe, so far he had little success. She wasn't sure what the problem was herself but tried her luck in helping him. Lex approached him carefully.

Lex picked up a screwdriver. "Do you know what's up with the safe?"

"I don't need your help!" Hyunjin snatched the screwdriver out of her hand and turned his back to her. Lex's face dropped for a moment before a scowl took its place. Now she was already used to this and typically didn't care if people didn't like her. Other's opinions of her weren't something she was bothered by. But this stung a little.

"Fine, bitch." Lex mumbled under breath and shuffled off angrily. Well, her bribe didn't work. She tried. That was her last attempt. She tested her luck again by working on something near Changbin.

Changbin wasn't as accommodating as Jeongin, but in no way hostile like Hyunjin, who was still occasionally glaring at her. At first, he was part of the group that was teasing her on her first mission, even voting against her. But he was getting used to her. The fact that she toned down her anger worked in her favour.

Another new thing that worked in her favour, was that she was finally getting the opportunity to use some of her gear. The cellular jamming was going to be used finally. On the chance that things were tipping to their disadvantaged, Chan ordered her to use it to prevent any others from calling backup or reinforcements. She was looking forward to that.