66: Red Herring

Lex spent a week recovering. While the others were assigned new missions within groups, she stayed back. JYP, satisfied with the narcotic sample acquired, granted her a break even if it was her only mission. Felix was also limited to certain missions as he was being searched for, and his injured arm hadn't fully recovered either.

On the other's free days, Lex would invite them to a nearby park and work on improving her mobility again. Jeongin was a frequent accomplice to the park, along with Felix. They jogged or tossed around a frisbee that Hyunjin had bought for them typically. Felix argued for his right to go outside even though he was a wanted man. A new dye job and eye contacts fixed the problem. The news report had detailed key features such as hair and eyes colour, now neither of those were the same.

Chan was not pleased with it but Lex convinced him to let him out as long as someone was with him. That was their general rule of thumb either way. They promised to keep their locations on at all times just in case.

During this time, they got to know each other more, their past. Felix had always been reluctant to open up about his past, but Jeongin loved to reminisce on parts of it only when it involved Seungmin. It was hard to imagine Seungmin as a delinquent as Jeongin liked to describe him, but looks could be deceiving. It almost reminded Lex of her friendship with Minho, as they had known each other from their childhood. The fact that she found him again was a happy accident.

Lex still hadn't spoken to Lisa. It was a shame since she actually liked the other woman. But every time she thought about it, all she could do was blame Lisa for how the mission turned out. Although Sana disliked Lisa, even she found the situation messy. But she stuck by Lex's side and still tried catching up with her when possible.

"Catch!" Felix tossed the frisbee particularly hard with his functioning arm. It sailed straight over their heads and into a bush.

"Nice throw, idiot," Lex teased, turning around and jogging after it. When she winced and stopped, Jeongin chased after it instead, flashing her a grin. Man, what would she do without him?

Jeongin returned moments later, waving a ten dollar bill in his hand. "Look! My lucky day."

"Aww, nice find, Innie." Lex ruffled his hair and took the frisbee from him as he checked the authenticity of the note. The way he was looking at it made it seem like he had never seen money before. Or it could've been his sunshine personality.

"What are you going to do with it?" Felix sidled up behind Jeongin and rested his chin on his shoulder.

Jeongin hummed, then faced Lex. "What do you think I should do with it?"

"You're asking me?" Lex pointed at herself, he nodded in response. "Pft, it's yours but if you wanted, we can go to that small shop around the corner for some snacks."

"Ohh, good idea. Let's go!"

"Sure! Felix, pull your hat down."

Felix huffed and tugged his hat down further over his eyes. Then he and Jeongin linked arms and skipped down the path together. Lex watched in adoration at her two friends, ones she regarded as little brothers. It was crazy to think she pushed them away when they were what she needed.

Their impromptu shopping trip took well over half an hour from how long they lingered and messed around. The shopkeepers watched them behind the counter before giving up when they obviously weren't stealing anything and just making comments about everything they saw. Felix picked up a packet of warheads as a mischievous grin made its way into his face. Lex was confused about what they were but Jeongin nodded furiously.

Though they had money, they were determined to keep things under 10 dollars as a challenge. Lex was tempted to swipe some stuff under her shirt as she had many times in the past but refrained from it. They couldn't risk drawing more attention to themselves and she was already having a good time. She couldn't help but wonder what it would be like if she met them differently, if they weren't involved in the criminal world. Would they be taking frequent trips to a shop for candy, living out their youth?