18: Final Chance

Minho and Lex found themselves debating at her front door again. Though this time she remembered to let him in. As soon as the door was shut, they fired up again. It was strikingly similar to the same argument he had with Chan. But he stood his ground.

"Aren't you noticing this pattern? Isn't this getting old?" Lex contested. She wasn't upset at Minho, but the whole situation. A fight happens, she goes home, Minho comes over to apologise and make up. This was no way to work. She knew when she wasn't wanted. Lex stomped her foot in frustration.

"How am I supposed to be part of your gang when your leader and I don't even see eye to eye? It doesn't help that some of them don't even want to speak with me." She continued ranting. Lex was being offered an opportunity to get money and potential accommodation with them. How could she refuse? She had given it a chance out of desperation but now she was starting to reconsider. Was it even worth it? Would she be off better working on her own and maintaining a friendship with Minho personally?

"I... I don't know, Lex. I'm sorry," Minho admitted sympathetically if not shamefully. "Do you think you could give it one more chance? I want to help you and I want us to be closer."

Lex sighed, plopping on her couch. She was surprised Chan hadn't just kicked her out. "I mean, I don't have any better options? I was already breaking into places and getting into ring fights before I met you. I'd be dumb to leave but it's starting to feel like more trouble than it's worth. Besides, I might get myself kicked out before I even get to make that choice."

"I know," Minho sighed. "This might be unhelpful, but Jeongin and Felix like you, and Han of course."

"That's true I suppose." Lex shrugged, smiling slightly. She did enjoy their presence and how welcome they made her feel. Was it enough to outweigh the members that disliked her?

"That's nice to hear. That makes half of your gang." Lex huffed, crossing her arms. "I don't know what else to do."

"One more chance, please." Minho grasped both of her hands in his. "That was Chan's ultimatum too. What do you say? If it doesn't work out then I won't stop you from leaving."

"Why do you want this to work out so bad? Can't you just let it be?" Lex asked, finally curious as to why he was so determined. Maybe it wasn't about the gear anymore, Minho just seemed desperate for her to stay. "It just feels like beating a dead horse, Minho."

Minho was stuck for a response, his face contorted in frustration. It seemed like there was something on the tip of his tongue that he couldn't quite admit.

"Minho, what's your true intention with me?" Lex asked one final time. Whatever it was, she wanted to hear. Was he using her? Did he feel guilty? Or did he truly? Was it a mix of those? She needed to know.

He wasn't sure what came over him, but the stress brought tears to his eyes, and he turned around abruptly until he shoved down the urge to. He felt embarrassed that this was the second time he had done it. Lex wasn't sure how to react to his reaction.

"I just... I wanted you to have the chance I did. I want to make up for lost time and to help you in any way I can. I know you're strong enough on your own. But I wanted to invite you into the family you never had, that we never had." Minho was eventually tearing up again. He let himself be vulnerable in front of both Chan and Lex out of desperation. It was now or never for him to say how he really felt. No, he hated the idea that he was guilting them by crying

Lex's face dropped and she stopped frowning, staring at him sympathetically. His words struck a chord in her heart. Of course she wanted a family. Deep down she has always wanted it. But years of getting by alone taught her to rely on herself. People could lie, manipulate, cheat you.