25: A New Light

Everyone relaxed as soon as they reached HQ, home. Their injuries weren't fatal enough to require them to go to a hospital. Chan insisted he should help Seungmin but Jeongin assured him he could take care of it. The wound wasn't deep enough to kill him, and it missed all his organs, which was a relief to everyone. Jeongin cleaned then placed a bandage patch over the wound for Seungmin.

Changbin applied cold pressure on his wound to prevent swelling, though it was such relief when he took off the vest. The pressure of the bullet was absorbed by the vest, which prevented it from penetrating his actual skin. He was glad the bullet didn't go through him, but the bruising still hurt like a bitch. Luckily, it didn't land on his ribs and crack them.

Minho's foot was of concern but he fixed a temporary brace on it. It wasn't the first time something like that happened. Between all the members, they've had their fair share of sprains and twisted limbs. Lex managed to secure one of the bathrooms and carefully peeled off her jacket. Jeongin passed her a small towel which he used to wipe away the dried blood. She cleaned it, then observed the damage. It wasn't deep enough to see bone, but it grazed enough layers of skin to leave white underneath.

After, she wrapped up the wound with a bandage. The pain had started to subside, but the entire car trip back, the graze burned like fire. The shock wore off and the pain hit her hard. Yet she remained quiet the whole time, only shifting uncomfortably when it was becoming too much. Her jacket was slit and soiled now, so she stayed in her black t-shirt as cargo pants. Lex checked on Minho after and he flashed her a thumbs up.

It came as a surprise to her when Chan called her into his office. She was hoping to speak to Minho first. Lex immediately had a bad feeling as any meeting that took place there has ended up bad for her. But she made the short journey to his office.

Lex knocked and entered, taking a seat in front of him. Chan wasn't sitting down and was leaning on his dresser. She scratched her head and ruffled her greasy hair out. Her scalp hurt from having it up all day. She always had it up whenever she was out, having hair in her face during battle wasn't ideal.

After a minute, Chan returned to his seat. They made eye contact. What was he thinking? She wished he would just say what he wanted. She was sitting there in anticipation. Was it something good this time maybe?

"Thank you for saving Hyunjin. That was noble of you." Chan said, gratitude lacing his voice. Her eyes widened. She had to admit, it felt good to not be berated for once. And... this new praise... what did this mean for her?

"Anyone would've done it. Is it not something you expected?"

"Well it is, but from the others. I suppose I hadn't really trusted you yet." Chan responded, his voice dropping as he looked away.

Lex tensed up, then sighed through her nose. She understood why they didn't trust her yet, or why Chan didn't. But hearing it constantly was starting to become insulting.

"But I can say after tonight, you've proven yourself." Chan continued immediately, meeting her eyes again. "I think I can speak for the others when I say you've earned our trust. Especially Hyunjin, of all people."

Lex felt at ease after that, relaxing in her seat. She nodded then averted her eyes to the ground. While she was still overwhelmed by the events of the night, she felt accomplished on where she sat within the gang. It wouldn't fully hit her until the next morning.

"Thank you, uh Chan. That means a lot to hear." Lex responded lowly, scratching the back of her head. She wanted to say more, wanted him to say more, but this would do for now. This was good enough for her, a long way since the start.

Chan didn't respond, but they maintained eye contact. Lex couldn't tell what he was thinking but hoped her position within the gang was secured. Tonight wasn't like the mission she just did with Chan. It was proof of her loyalty to members that he didn't even get along with.