70: Building Tension

"Hey hey, stay still," Hyunjin scolded, halting his hand as Jeongin squirmed in his seat. Every time he was about to start sketching the younger man, he would move. Whether it was to be annoying or not, he wasn't sure. But it was most likely the former. Who was he kidding, of course it was on purpose.

"If you're so talented, how come you can't draw me from memory?" Jeongin teased, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Oh please, I'd rather draw you from memory so it's the ugliest thing ever," Hyunjin retorted, breathing out through his nose deeply. Jeongin had offered to be his inspiration for his art piece as he hadn't worked on a project in a long time. He and Jisung had gone to a dollar store to pick up cheap art supplies to use in their free time.

They lounged in one of the common rooms. Jeongin was a good model but uncooperative. Hyunjin knew he was just teasing him so he kept his cool and didn't give him the reaction he wanted. Although the number of times he had to stop was making him consider choosing someone else.

Jeongin gasped. "Impossible, I'm cute."

"Yeah, that's true," Seungmin chimed in, materialising from behind Hyunjin. He walked around the couch to hug Jeongin from behind, earning a scowl from the artist as he paused once more. They were both testing him. Too bad they were his best friends.

Hyunjin crossed his arms. "Okay, so no one cares about my art apparently."

"Okay okay, I'll be serious."

Jeongin surprisingly sat still while Hyunjin carefully sketched an outline of his face and upper torso. Although after times he would see Jeongin's lips twitch into a smirk, he complied and stayed still. Hyunjin knew Seungmin was messing around behind him as Jeongin kept glancing at him while holding back laughter. If he wasn't so focused, he would scold Seungmin too.

After half an hour, Hyunjin had completed his rough sketch of Jeongin's face. He planned to set it aside and paint it another day as a present to his best friend. And because he didn't think Jeongin could spend another minute sitting still.

"See, was that so hard?" Hyunjin ruffled Jeongin's hair who slumped on the couch dramatically.

"Yes, it's hard being this cute."

"When did your ego become so inflated? I like it," Seungmin snickered, plopping himself on top of Jeongin who groaned beneath him.

"Since hanging out with Lex, I bet." Hyunjin rolled up his sleeves then spanked Seungmin before jumping on top of the mountain for payback.

"You're both heavy," The youngest whined, muffled by Seungmin. 

"Aww, but we never cuddle like this anymore."

"Because I'm grown up."

Seungmin and Hyunjin burst into laughter causing Jeongin to groan and attempt to shove them off with little success. Amid the chaos, the three of them could still share a laugh and appreciate each other in this world.

~

Minho leaned back in a chair as Chan paced the room. The two had taken refuge in Chan's room while waiting for Lex to return in anticipation. Minho patiently waited with him but Chan's pacing was making him nervous. It was starting to get dark, still no sign of her. Tori's reassurance wore off with each half-hour that passed. She had been right, Lex did always come back when she would sneak off on her own.

"Was she really that mad at me?" Chan asked quietly, pausing his pacing. He still felt justified to some extent but if anything were to happen to her, that would be on his conscience. Right now, he just wanted her safe. Their argument wasn't worth losing her over.