27: Friend or Family?

Lex observed herself in the mirror, at some points standing so close that her breath fogged up the mirror. There wasn't much she'd change about her appearance, she was never too bothered by it. She lacked curves but made up for it in her muscle and definition, something she was proud about.

But she had the urge to renew herself somehow. After Hyunjin's acceptance, she had a fleeting moment of confidence. She felt like a different person and needed to signify that somehow. Hyunjin did go on to say he wasn't entirely serious. She didn't have to do anything she didn't want, Felix was already planning to bake brownies in her honour.

Lex's eyes trailed to her hair. Well, hair grows back, doesn't it? I wonder... It was cropped into a bob right now, which was the length she usually kept it at. All of a sudden, she was struck with inspiration, and it was a perfect idea.

~

"The whole head?!" Hyunjin had gasped when she told him her idea. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but it was a bold choice. Or a bald choice. It was only an undercut.

Nonetheless, they set it up for her. In their living room, the couches were pushed to the side to make room for where Lex was going to sit. Hyunjin wasn't lying when he said it was going to be like a ceremony. They expected her to sit in the middle while everyone huddled around her.

"Right, so who wants to do the honours?" Lex commented sarcastically to the group gathered in front of her. Everyone cheered and bumped each other as they all shared glances. They were oddly reminiscent of the kids she knew back at the orphanage, still having that childish quality.

"I will..." Chan pushed forward, swinging the clippers in his hand by the cord like they did in movies. Lex raised an eyebrow. Dramatic much?

"You?" Lex scoffed, not thinking he was the hairdresser of the group.

"Mhm, think of as a ritual... Your declaration of loyalty to us."

"Make it good or you lose a finger." Lex retorted with a playful glare.

"Don't worry, I'm good with my hands," Chan smirked at his own bold remark. The confidence to make such an innuendo was only because they were in a group environment. They both knew, had they been alone it would not have been the same.

Lex's eyebrows furrowed before her mouth dropped open when she comprehended it. No way he just said that. The other members hollered and jumped up and down, Lex couldn't help but smile. Hyunjin mockingly fanned himself and winked at her.

"Don't get weird, just shave my hair." Lex was starting to feel a little apprehensive. Sure she didn't care if she ended up bald, but she didn't like being humiliated.

"No fun."

Lex scowled but she wasn't seriously angered. She could barely contain her excitement over her makeover and the bonding moment between her and the members.

"You're sure you know what you're doing?"

"Oh yeah, he does. He used to do it for us before we decided to maintain our own hair." Felix piped up, bouncing himself up from Changbin's shoulders. When they were younger or had first joined, Chan had taken it upon himself to cut some of the member's hairs.

"He was our barber for years," Jeongin added, helping out by plugging in the clippers.

Lex found herself increasingly surprised at each new fact she discovered about Chan. So there really was more to him. She never understood how deeply he cared for each of them, but she was slowly learning.

They first tied up the designated sections of hair. Chan then snipped the tied off section with a gasp. Lex stepped on his foot as it unnecessarily shocked her. Hobbling slightly, the leader went to cut off the other tiny pigtail.