3: Early Days

Lex had one thing on her mind as soon as she got home. Minho. As she jangled the keys in the door, she was still in shock at how the night escalated. The odds were so slim and yet it still added up. Minho is so grown up now. No longer was he the scrawny boy with long hair that she knew. He was now a fit man with sleek hair, and if she would admit it, he was attractive. But that was a minor factor in being excited to see him. Although, there may have been a period of time where she had a small crush on him. Only small. But now they were adults. She was now turning 21, and he was turning 22.

She still had bursts of energy and a lot to think about. Her heart was still beating steadily faster than it should. She headed to the fridge and threw it open, searching the contents for a reasonable snack. She rummaged through the things she had and clicked her tongue as she decided. While her diet mainly consisted of cheap noodles, she still had enough money to feed herself well. Her most expensive food was mainly snacks.

After deciding what she wanted, her fingers closed around a green apple. Then she also grabbed string cheese for good measure. Closing the fridge with a bump of her hip, she groaned when she began hearing the soft pitter-patter of rain hitting against the roof. The smell of rain irritated her, but the rain itself didn't. To her, there wasn't any enjoyment in her shoes squishing in the mud and her socks getting wet.

She threw herself onto her mattress as she crunched into her apple, chewing absentmindedly as her mind was still on Minho. How did he end up with his gang? How long had he been with them? Is that where he went after he left her? She figured she could ask him these questions when she met him again. If she met him again. His leader Chan seemed cautious around her, and the other members seemed wary of her. Setting her half-eaten apple on the box beside her bed, she opened the string cheese and slowly began to nibble it. She couldn't wait to meet Minho again.

~

Minho sprawled himself out comfortably on his bed, crunching potato chips from the bowl beside him. The salty goodness was increasingly satisfying at this time of the night. He flicked through the pages of some random manual he found, using his other hand to bring chips to his mouth. There was a knock on his door that had him halting a chip on the way to his mouth.

"Come in!" Minho called out, continuing his quest with chips. The door pushed open and Jisung stepped inside, closing the door behind him gently as if he was pretending he wasn't there. The secretive behaviour went unnoticed by Minho at first.

"This is your room too, why did you knock? I told you that you don't need to." Minho's words were scolding but his tone was playful. Jisung flashed him a smile and took small steps towards his bed, keeping his eyes trained on his face. He tried to remain casual but a burning question wouldn't leave him alone. Since they'd left that alleyway with Lex, he's been lost in his thoughts.

"Just came in to check on you." Jisung slid himself onto the other side of Minho, the bowl of chips resting between them. "You seemed really excited since you saw your friend again."

At the mention of his friend, Minho's eyes lit up and he munched down on a chip enthusiastically. Noticing the change in behaviour, Jisung's eyes widened and he reached for a chip to prevent himself from fiddling. He carefully nibbled on them.

"Yeah, it's been so long and I've missed her," Minho replied fondly, running his tongue over his lips to wipe off any salt gathered on them. Though he tried not to make it obvious, Jisung instinctively followed the movement with his eyes, unbeknownst to Minho either way. His cheeks flared up from being captivated by his lips, and the fact that he felt a surge of jealousy rush through at Minho's response.

"That's sweet." Though Jisung had a motive for coming in and talking to him this time, he genuinely meant what he said. "Were you two just friends?"

"Oh yeah, we were best friends, the closest ones there." Minho recounted with a smile, ditching the chips in favour of daydreaming. He had dark memories from living at that orphanage, but he had fond ones that he made with Lex.

"Where is 'there?" Jisung asked, casually ignoring that he confirmed they were only friends. Mentally, he was doing a very extravagant dance on a table and throwing flower petals from a basket. His question had been answered and his stomach stopped hurling itself against him.

"Yeah, you know how I told you I came from that orphanage like hours away? We both grew up there together."

"Oh, that makes a lot of sense," Jisung replied, nodding as he shrugged, "How long has it been since you last saw her?"

"Around 5 years, I was turning 17 and she would've been turning 16." Minho's face suddenly morphed into one of sadness and regret. "I never did say goodbye to her before I left."

The chips forgotten, Jisung reached over and gave Minho's leg a sympathetic pat. Minho furrowed his eyebrows slightly at the hand settled on his leg. He could admit, it did feel nice having the warmth of his hand on him. Noticing his expression, Jisung withdrew his hand and scratched at the back of his head, even though the gesture was far from subtle.

"Well she was excited too when you both saw each other, so I imagine she's not upset about it," Jisung responded reassuringly. Minho nodded and smiled. When she had turned to him, it took him a few seconds to recognise her, and when he did a surge of excitement rushed through him. After thinking he would never see her again, his elation was unexplainable.

"Hopefully." Minho shrugged before yawning, "Also do you want any of these chips? I'm done with them."

"No, it's alright, I have to do something now." Jisung slid off the bed and made his way to the door, not before turning back and smiling at Minho, "Nice speaking to you!"

Jisung had left the room and didn't see the confused expression on Minho's face. Why was he speaking to him so casually, as if they weren't best friends for years? They even shared a room for goodness sake. He hadn't mentioned it but Jisung was acting weird. They could always talk so freely but this time he seemed distant. From the way he entered to the way he left, Jisung was acting seriously cautious. What was on his mind?

~

Published: 5th August 2020

Any feedback is appreciated!
Also chips = crisps.