❀𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐵𝑢𝑐𝑘𝑒𝑡 𝐿𝑖𝑠𝑡❀

Your classmate before you has picked up your notebook, his eyes slowly reading the only thing you've written on the page beside doodles sprouted from pure boredom. You, being the self-conscious person that you are, have a mixture of emotions you aren't sure how to express towards his action.

In the end, your eyebrows furrow and you quickly take the book from him. "Do you always read what's inside girls' notebooks?"

"My apologies," he continues to smile his annoying gentle grin, "but if you don't mind me saying, your list is interesting and I'd like to see what else you put in it."

You huff and stuff the notebook deep inside your backpack as though he was about to reach in and snatch it back.

"Is it for anything in particular?" he continues to press, although his voice is calm as if he can't tell he's pissing you off.

"It's just a list..." your cheeks head up from the embarrassment of admitting it, "of things I want to do, like a bucket list."

With that, the conversation ends. You follow his eyes and see as though he's in a state of shock.

"What is it?" you finally ask.

"You're going to, um, pass away?" he attempts to say as quietly as possible.

"No!" you gasp.

"A bucket list is a list of things you want to do before you die," he tries to explain kindly.

Why did I say that?!

Your classmate then smiles with one that is so soft yet burning in intensity that it almost causes you to become slack-jawed, gawking at how gorgeous he is.

You end up only scoffing at him, for some reason you felt the need to put your guard up around him. "It doesn't matter," you say as you zip up your bag.

"You're right," he nods, "but maybe you should call it your checklist. And if you're taking suggestions, you should add the Yagami Zoo."

"Okay, sure," you lie to get the conversation to end, "I'll write that down."

He smiles and apologizes to you once more for reading your notebook without permission. He then grabs his backpack and heads out of the room.

As he leaves you watch him, wondering if he was being serious about wanting to know what else you add to it.

That afternoon during lunch, you walk with Mayumi over to the vending machine.

"Y/N, I'm so excited to tell you what's in your present bag that I'm going to burst!!" she squeals.

"Don't give it away yet," you nudge her and shake your head, "I want it to be a good surprise for when the three of us are together, okay?"

"You're right," Mayumi whines as she looks down at her feet. "I just really want to make you happy today..."

"Just being with you and Satsuki makes me plenty happy," you assure her as the two of you approach the vending machine, "so don't worry too much about it."

"Okay," Mayumi nods with a small smile.

She then begins to put her money into the machine slot until her coin purse is empty. "No way," she gasps, "I'm one short!"

You begin to check your pockets, but don't find anything on you.

"Geez, I really wanted to get a cold drink. Whatever, let's just go back."

"Wait a second," a voice from behind you calls. "Here, use this."

Mayumi turns around and brightly thanks the kind person who's offered her the coin. When you turn around to thank them as well, you see it's the same silver-haired classmate of yours from this morning.

I wish I paid attention enough to know his name and thank him properly. This is awkward.

"Hi, Y/N," he then waves after finishing his conversation with Mayumi.

"Hi..."

He then walks away, leaving you alone with your friend. Mayumi slides in her last coin into the machine, getting all hyped for her purchase. As she clicks the button for apple juice, you peek around the corner and see your classmate step into the gym.

"Mayumi," you hum, "What gym is over there?"

"Boys' volleyball I think. Why? Your friend part of the team?"

"I guess so," you shrug, "but he's not really my friend, just someone from class."

"Okay," she smiles as the two of you begin to walk back to where Satsuki's waiting for you. "I hope Satsuki isn't disappointed that I didn't get her anything after I said I would..."

"I wouldn't worry about it. Satsuki's dad packs a big lunch for her and her sister every day so I'm sure that she's got something to drink with it," you assure her.

"You're right," she cheers up. "I wish my dad was like Satsuki's."

"Same here," you sigh.

Just then, Mayumi's stomach lets out a loud growl. "Ooops, just thinking about her big lunch is making me hungry. I only had time to pack a granola bar."

"Seriously, Mayumi you need to do something about that," you shake your head. "But I'll share my food with you. I've got half a sandwich."

"That's it?" Mayumi giggles. "How can you lecture me on lunch when you hardly have anything either?!"

"Hey at least I made something!" you roll your eyes.

"Mayu! Y/N! Over here!" Your conversation is cut short by Satsuki calling out to you.

When the two of you walk over, you see Satsuki has already split her lunch into three parts, a good size helping in each.

"Come sit and eat. I know the two of you eat poorly at school," she sighs.

"Wow!" Mayumi beams, "that looks delicious! Thank you so so much Satsuki-chan!"

"Yeah, thank you," you add as your mouth begins to water at the food below you.

"No problem," Satsuki grins. "Dig in!"

 "Dig in!"