❀𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐼𝑐𝑖𝑛𝑔❀

After school you, Satsuki, and Mayumi walk outside together. Like usual, the three of you walk towards Satsuki's house. Lucky for you and Mayumi, her family treats you both extremely well.

Mayumi's family is somewhat like yours, however, Mayumi has to fend for herself a lot more through getting a job and finding her own way around town. With all of that plus more, she's still saving up for a car.

"Satsuki? When are we going to let Y/N open her gift?"

As Mayumi talked to your other friend, you look down at the present bag and wonder what's gotten Mayumi so worked up.

"Right when we get to my house, okay?"

"Fine," Mayumi crosses her arms and pouts.

The moment that the three of you get on Satsuki's property, Mayumi grabs your hand and rushes you to the front porch. The two of you sit together and wait for Satsuki to give the go-ahead. Once she does you begin to remove the paper, opening it as gently as possible.

Revealing the gift, you see a black, expensive-looking camera. Accompanied with it is a photo album decorated with your favorite color.

"You guys..."

"It's for you to take pictures with this summer before you go so you'll have something to remember us by!" Mayumi beams.

"Mayuuu," you whine as you throw your arms around her. "How could I ever forget my two best friends. This is the best gift I've ever gotten!"

You then stand up and hug Satsuki, being sure to thank her as well.

"It was mostly Satsuki's idea," Mayumi rubs her neck, "so don't give me too much credit."

"Okay," you giggle, "but I'm honestly just glad you two thought of me."

After being thrown into a group hug against your will, the three of you walk inside. Immediately, you find birthday decorations all around the house. You look over at Satsuki with an expression of disbelief.

She smiles. "Mayumi and I worked on it all this morning before school."

"How come you brought my gift to school then," you chuckle. "It was already here?"

Satsuki is prepared for the expected question. "Again, Mayu wanted to brighten your morning. She and I were both worried about how it went with your parents."

"It definitely worked," you smile at them.

Mayumi lets out her gigantic grin and runs over to the refrigerator. You then turn to Satsuki and pick up a new conversation.

"Was your dad okay with having all of this set up here even though he had to work?"

"He usually stays in the office, so it's okay," she nods. "And anyway, he doesn't mind!"

Mayumi then gasps and the two of you look over to see her holding a cake without frosting. She turns to you and frowns, "I forget to put on the icing this morning, Satsuki..."

You walk over with a smile and tell Mayumi that the three of you can just put it on now. Mayumi cheers up and agrees to your plan.

As the three of you get set, Satsuki's little sister, Yasuko, walks into the room.

"Y/N!" she beams as she runs over to you and smiles. "Happy birthday!"

"Thanks, Yasuko! I'm so happy you remembered!"

Yasuko giggles and walks over to Satsuki to hug her.

"Yasuko, how was school today? You had a field trip, didn't you?" Satsuki asks.

"Yup and we went to the zoo!" she excitedly remarks.

The zoo? Just like that guy from class this morning told me about. What a weird coincidence.

Mayumi then suddenly shrieks and you pull yourself out of your thoughts for long enough to recognize that there's icing all over the kitchen counter.

You rush to grab paper towels to save the icing before it falls onto the ground.

"Aw man, now there's not enough icing," Mayumi sighs as she peers into the mostly emptied container.

"I'm sure there's more," Satsuki nods, "check the drawer."

You, being the closest to where Satsuki's pointing, walk over to the drawer. You move some things around, but don't see any kind of frosting in there. When you express that to the group, Mayumi's face quickly deflates.

"Wait, I can help!" Yasuko grins as she skips over to a cabinet.

The three of you watch as the young girl bends down and pulls a bunch of food out of the way. She then sticks her arm all the way to the back and pulls out two sealed containers of frosting.

Satsuki gasps. "Yasuko, were you saving those in there for yourself?!"

Yasuko nods sadly. "I'm sorry big sis," she says quietly as she hands both of the containers over to Satsuki.

Satsuki sighs and shakes her head. "You know if you ate all that you would have gotten sick!"

"Don't worry about it," Mayumi chimes in as she takes the containers from Satsuki's hands and puts a smile on little Yasuko's face. "You didn't eat it all and get sick. You helped us out and I think that calls for a nice, fat piece of cake later tonight!"

"Yay!" Yasuko cheers as she hugs Mayumi.

The four of you then get to work, putting the icing on the cake and setting everything up for dinner as well.

Soon, Satsuki and Yasuko's dad walks into the kitchen. Immediately he greets you and wishes you a happy birthday. The atmosphere of the room makes you finally feel at home, more than it ever can when you're with your parents.

"Y/N, come on! It's time to eat!"