❀𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑆𝑤𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠❀

Y/N'S P.O.V.

On your walk home from Suga's house later that night, you walk past a park. Thinking nothing of it, you don't pay much attention. That is, until you hear the rusting squeak of a swing. You look over and see a dark figure of a man sitting nearby.

Against your better judgment, you stop and squint your eyes. A part of you thinks that perhaps this could have been your stalker from earlier this afternoon. You feel your body tense up and hope that it's dark enough to slip away quietly.

As you start walking away, you feel something inside you pull you back to where the figure is sitting. You let out a deep breath and give in to the feeling. You silently walk over to the swings, hoping to get a better look at the man before initiating any kind of interaction. That is when you notice that Daichi is the one sitting there by himself.

I knew it! He was following me all day!

"Daichi?!"

Daichi looks up at you like a deer in the headlights. You walk over to him cautiously and ask if he's alright. "I'm fine," he replies, although he doesn't look all that good. Even in the dim light, you can tell his face is paled and sad.

You sit down on the swing beside him and try to make small talk. "What a coincidence running into you again today," you laugh awkwardly.

"Hey Y/N? Can I tell you something?" he says quietly as he ignores your comment.

In your mind you begin to freak out. You wish that you just kept walking. You've got no idea what he's about to say or do to you in the middle of an empty playground at night. You feel your body tense up as you say "s-sure".

"I know that you're not Suga's cousin."

That's it?! A breath of relief washes over you.

"O-Oh, you do? How did you figure that out?"

"I went by Suga's house before," he admits awkwardly, "and saw you two on the roof, uh..."

"Got it!" you interrupt, "But sorry for lying to you all this time..."

"It's alright," he attempts to smile, "I already knew before that."

You look over at him curiously. You can admit that your acting skills aren't that great, but the way that he says he knew makes it sound like he already had some kind of solid proof that the two of you aren't related.

"You know, a few years back I was really into baseball."

Way to change the conversation.

"But my dad forced me to quit that dream because of the stupid accident," he continues.

"Wait," your eyes widen as you begin to realize what he's saying, "S-Sawamura?"

"That's me," he nods before looking away.

You feel your body freeze again, but not because you are scared. This time you have no idea what to say to get rid of the tense moment you've created.

"Why didn't you say anything to me?" you ask.

"I admit it's a stupid reason, but I wasn't sure how to tell you."

As Daichi continues to avoid looking at you, you reach over to him and wrap your arms around his body. You feel your eyes begin to water as you reconnect with your old friend.

"Thank you for telling me now," you whisper as tears begin to leak down your face. "To be honest, you kinda freaked me out from showing up everywhere, but I trust you now."

You pull away from him and see a sad smile grow on his face again. "What's wrong?" you ask.

"It's nothing," he shakes his head, "I just feel bad for not telling you."

It seems like there's more to it than that...

"Wait!" you gasp, "So you're moving, too! That's such good news!"

"Moving?" he finally looks at you, but with concern.

"You know, 'cause your dad's moving the company to England in July," you remind him.

"The hell are you talking about?" he begins to get angry.

You feel your face heat up, a bit embarrassed since you aren't very sure about the details. If he keeps questioning you, you're not sure how many answers you can give to satisfy him.

Daichi stands up and begins to walk away. You desperately chase after him and grab onto his arm. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you... maybe he's just adding a branch. My parents don't really tell me much."

Daichi shakes his head. "My father wouldn't expand to fucking England for no reason like that. I don't know why he didn't think to tell me!"

Now furious by what you've said, Daichi begins to storm away. He rips his arm out of your grasp and turns around to face you. Out of reflex from similar behavior of your mother, you flinch away.

A hint of concern begins to grow in Daichi's eyes. He looks down at you with worry. "You flinched?"

"No," you say quietly.

Daichi grabs you by the arm and lifts up your sleeve. Although the two of you are under dim light, you can still see two black bruises left on your arm quite clearly. You immediately pull your arm away once he loosens his grip on you.

"I knew it... the other day at lunch I heard you tell your friends that your back hurt..." he says softly.

You cross your arms and look away from him, too embarrassed to look him in the eyes. "It's none of your-"

Swiftly, his arms now wrap around your entire body, covering you in his embrace. You object for a moment, until the comfort of his hug sinks in.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. I failed to protect you like I said I would," he says as he hugs you tighter.

"Would you stop," you say through tingling, hot cheeks, "you're being ridiculous!"

Daichi apologizes for his rash behavior and releases you from the hug. The two of you look away from each other as silence befalls you.

"I'm sorry," you speak up first, "that was rude of me. Thank you, Sawamura."

"Don't mention it."

You then look up at him and see the same concerned look on his face, perhaps even more now than before. For a moment it looks as though he's about to say something important, but instead asks if he can walk you home.

"Wait, how come Suga didn't give you a ride? I'll have to talk to-"

"No, it's okay," you give him a reassuring smile, "I told him I didn't want one since I live close, but it looks like that excuse won't exactly work on you."

"Damn right," he finally grins sweetly again, "let's get going."