❀𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑆𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑒❀

"Happy birthday to you~"

As your friends sing Happy Birthday, the sense of happiness washes over you. You can't help but be anything besides thankful, and for a moment you forget about how you're destined to leave Japan in a mere two months.

"Make a wish, Y/N," Yasuko smiles innocently at you.

That's easy. I'd wish to be away from home and with my friends for as much as possible while I can.

With that, you blow out your candles. Your friends break out with cheers for you. Satsuki's father hands you the cake knife and you make sure to cut off a big piece for Yasuko as promised.

"This is so good!" Yasuko says excitedly as she tears through her cake.

"I know right!" Mayumi adds with her mouth half full, "I didn't even know I could make cake this good!"

"You used a cake mix, that's why," Satsuki sighs, "and it would have been a lot harder if we didn't."

"Who cares," you grin, "it's delicious and that's what matters!"

"'Specially with the frosting!" Yasuko and Mayumi hum together.

You exchange a glance with Satsuki who nods and smiles along with the girls' statement.

"Bye, Y/N," Yasuko yawns as she waves tiredly to you.

"Bye, Yasuko," you call back to her as Satsuki picks her up. "See you later!"

After saying your goodbyes to your friends and thanking Satsuki's father for allowing the small party that night, you head home.

You sigh to yourself on your walk wondering why your parents even bother putting a curfew on you every night.

It'd be nice to sleep somewhere besides there and not have to deal with all their noise. It's not even like they would notice if I wasn't there, especially on days that I don't have school.

When you finally arrive at your house you enter into a pitch black room. You turn around to lock the door and call out to your parents.

"Mom, I'm home! Dad?" you look over by the television but find neither of them there.

Maybe they're not home yet.

You walk over to the window and peer out to see the car parked in the driveway.

"They're already asleep," you shake your head as you head towards the kitchen.

Opening the refrigerator, you place inside a slice of cake that you've brought home from Satsuki's house. After, you quietly drop your bag and backpack and tiptoe over to your parents' room. Inside, you find them peacefully asleep. That is to say, they aren't exactly quiet sleepers, so as peaceful as they can be.

Once again you gather your belongings and walk over to your room, shutting and locking the door behind you. The main reason for this is that your parents used to have the most annoying habit of walking into your room and turning on all of the lights to wake you up when you were younger, so locking the door was your safest bet. But that was before they had their fancy, new jobs.