❀𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐼𝑛𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛❀

Returning home after a long day at work, you open your front door quietly. Immediately, your ears are filled with the noise of loud yelling. It's not much of a surprise though, you could hear it from outside (and down the street).

You shut the door behind you, careful not to make any noise in the hopes that neither of them will hear you. You then quietly tiptoe upstairs and flop down onto your bed.

God, I'm so tired, you sigh as you close your eyes and try to relax. however, the screaming isn't much help.

You roll over and pull out your phone from your pocket. Holding it near your face, you search for Suga's number and give him a call.

"Hi, Koshi," you grin as he answers the phone. "I just got back from work."

After a bit of small talk, you admit to him that a while ago you finally had the talk with your dad.

"That's great!" he beams. "I'm proud of you."

Why does he have to say it like he's my dad? you wonder as your face begins to heat up.

"Thanks... The only thing is, they're going to be screaming for the next century and I'm grounded so leaving is out of the question."

"Want some company?"

"I'd love some," you smile as his words hit your ear.

"Okay. I'll be right there. Wait for me out back," he says before hanging up the phone.

You take a quick shower, hoping not to be too sweaty after a day of school and work when Suga comes over. Once you look presentable, you walk downstairs to hear the yelling grow impossibly louder. You look around and find that the yelling has been coming from your parents' room. You take a deep breath, thankful that they're not out where they could see Suga walking in. The last thing you want is for them to turn their anger on you right now.

You walk into the kitchen and pull out a bag of popcorn. After placing it into the microwave and sighing over finally hearing a different noise apart from yelling, you open up the back door. There, you find Suga hopping down from the back fence. He runs up to you and pulls you into a tight, but gentle hug.

"H-hi," you giggle as he releases you. "Go head upstairs. I'll be right there."

Suga nods and makes his way over to the stairs. You watch until he's gone from view and then close your back door. Right as you do, the door to your parents' bedroom swings wide open. You scurry away from the door and go into the kitchen to grab your popcorn as well as a few drinks. On your way back, you see your dad heading right towards you.

Oh crap, you think to yourself as you stand frozen in your tracks. Please tell me that he didn't hear Suga. I wasn't being super loud, was I?

Your dad walks right past you and disappears from view as he goes outside to the backyard. The moment you then get to sigh a breath of relief your mother walks up to you, coming from out of nowhere. As she stands before you, she looks down at what you're carrying. A disgusted expression washes over her face before she gets the chance to roll her eyes.

"You're really going to eat all that... by yourself?"

Unsure of what to say or how to answer, you only stare back at her with your mouth partially opened.

She scoffs at your behavior. "You should eat a good meal for once in your life."

She then storms over to the front door, grabs her purse and keys, and slams the door behind her. Without a second thought, you run upstairs and into your room. You sigh the moment you see Suga safely sitting on your bed.

"What's wrong?" he chuckles as he looks at your disheveled appearance.

"You had seriously good timing getting here. A second later and I would have been dead. Both my parents came out."

"Ohh, so that's why the yelling stopped..." he says before trailing off.

"What is it?" you narrow your eyes as you wait for him to finish what he was going to say. "You're not going to tell me to talk to my dad again, are you?"

Suga only smiles and chuckles at your demeanor. You roll your eyes and walk to your desk. There, you place down the drinks and popcorn and pick up your laptop.

"Here," you say as you hand the laptop to him. "Find something good to watch while I go intervene in my parents' love life yet again."

"Good luck," he hums as you reach the door.

You squeak back the smallest "thank you," before shutting the door behind you. You then make your way downstairs, all the while trying to come up with a better way to converse with your dad this time.

In the backyard, you find your dad sitting on the edge of the pool with his feet in the water. You decide to sit beside him and do the same. Right away he thanks you without being prompted.

"Without you, I probably would have stayed in denial forever and never done anything about it," he admits.

"So, uh, what are you going to do now?" you ask, genuinely concerned.

"Well, your mom is out right now getting the divorce paper."

"Huh?!" you gasp, completely shocked that it's moving so quickly.

"Look, Y/N. I'm really sorry about the past eight years," he adds with a sadder tone than before.

"I'm confused..."

"When she started hitting you... That should have been my sign to do something, to get you away from her. But instead, I did nothing but sit by and wish for her to stop."

You look down at your feet in the water, unsure of what to even say to him. You think back to all of the times he sat by and watched as your mom beat you for no good reason. You wish that he did do something. And you wish you could yell at him right now for it. Your eyes begin to water, for how can you yell at someone who's trying to change?

The moment your dad puts his arm around you, you tense up. "From now on, I'm going to do better by you, Y/N."

Those words hit you like a giant school bus. You stand up and begin to sob louder. You open your mouth to yell at him, but nothing comes out.

"I'm glad you realized that," you sniff, "I just wish you recognized it a long time ago."