❀𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑚𝑖𝑡𝑚𝑒𝑛𝑡❀

Later that evening, you change into something more suitable for your job interview. You check yourself out in the mirror, silently hyping over the benefits of getting a job.

Maybe I'll be able to afford some of those places from that list I made yesterday.

You then walk over to your desk and pull out your notebook. Flipping through the pages, you look for the one with the small list of places you want to go. Quickly, you scribble down 𝘠𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘮𝘪 𝘡𝘰𝘰 and rip out the page from the book.

Suddenly getting the strange urge to check the time, you turn on your phone to see that it's already past 6:30. You hope that you're not too late to show up tonight.

Due to these thoughts, you rush downstairs and gather everything you need, including the keys to your hand-me-down car that you're extremely grateful for.

"Y/N?"

You freeze when you hear your mother call from behind you. Slowly, you turn around to see her arms crossed while she looks at you with intense concern.

"Where are you going?"

Why the hell does she even care?

"Mayumi told me that Urby is looking for waitresses so I thought I'd apply for the job," you answer honestly since there's no point in lying about it. They'd find out sooner or later anyway.

"Way to go!" Your dad attempts to be supportive. "You're being independent. Good job!"

However, your mother shakes her head in disapproval. "Just because you get a job doesn't mean you're going to stay here in Japan any longer than we discussed. All three of us are leaving in June, Y/N."

"I wasn't trying to do-"

She sighs and interrupts your attempt at helping her understand your intentions. "You need to tell them that you can't make a commitment any longer than two months."

"Okay," you say in a whisper.

"Oh, and be home by nine darling," she adds.

"Eh? But it's almost seven now. If they have me do something I might not be back in time."

Your mother shakes her head again and feigns a headache. "You don't ever listen to what I try to tell you," she huffs before leaving the room in a hurry.

You watch her leave until the door shuts behind her. You then groan and turn to your father for some hope of sympathy.

"I know you probably won't be back in time," he grins as he approaches you, "but try to be back around nine so your mom feels better knowing that you're safe."

Don't they know that if I'm working I have to do what my boss tells me? It's not like I can make my hours or go in there demanding all of this the day I walk in! Besides, I have school during the day so night shifts are all I can manage on weekdays.

Without another work, your dad plops down on the couch in front of the television. With a loud sigh of relief, he turns on the television to some sports game.

You roll your eyes at his action and turn around to open the front door.

Soon, you arrive at Urby and walk in to see a woman greeting you. You smile as you approach her, telling her that you're Mayumi's friend here for the job interview.

"You made it!" She beams, "Okay, follow me!"

You follow the woman around to the kitchen where you find Mayumi emptying dishes into a sink.

"Y/N!" she exclaims when she sees you. Immediately you're thrown into a hug and almost squeezed to death. "Thank you, thank you! I can't believe you actually showed up! I thought you were just kidding before."

"It's no problem," you tell her when your breath comes back to you after the hug.

"Come with me," she says as she grabs your hand, "I'll bring you to my boss, Mr. Suzuhara."

Together, the two of you rush to Mr. Suzuhara's office. Mayumi knocks politely and the two of you wait outside the door until you hear a polite voice calling you in.

Inside the room sits a thin, tall man with dark hair and a bright smile that reminds you somewhat of Mayumi's. You watch as he stands up and introduces himself as Toji Suzuhara, the owner of Urby.

Business owner, that's pretty cool. I bet he's rich.

You find yourself cracking a smile at your thoughts. Suzuhara then gives you a brief interview that only lasts a couple of minutes. By the time you're done, he admits that he'd like to have you work for him.

"Ideally, you'd work week-day night shifts. It's where we need the most help. I've got enough waitresses for the weekend but week-days are like nightmares around here."

Mayumi nods. "You'd think it'd be the other way around, boss."

"I agree, Mayumi," he smiles, "but hopefully with Y/N's help it'll be a bit easier for you girls now."

"Definitely. Y/N's a super hard worker!"

She pulled that out of her ass.

"Now, Y/N. Would you mind terribly if I asked you to stay here for about an hour. I'd like to make sure you like it here as I keep an eye on your work, too, of course. If you end up staying, I'll put what you make on your end-of-the-week check and if not then we can work something out. Either way, you can keep whatever tips you make," he laughs.

"That sounds amazing," you smile, "thank you so much for your generosity!"

Mayumi then bursts out of the room, yelling that she'll be right back with something. When the two of you are alone, Suzuhara laughs and admits to you that Mayumi can be quite the handful. You nod and agree with his comment as you wait for her to come back.

"Got it!" your friend beams when she comes back in the room with a pile of something you can't see very well. "Thanks, boss! We'll go get started now!"

 "Thanks, boss! We'll go get started now!"