❀𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐶𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑎𝑖𝑛❀

"Mayumi?" you ask your friend as you approach her in the lunchroom, "Where's Satsuki?"

Mayumi shrugs and looks sadly down at the floor. "I think something happened with her mom, you know, at the hospital."

"Again?" you sigh, "I really hope she gets better soon..."

"Me too, but Satsuki didn't seem too worried," Mayumi adds before the conversation turns to silence.

Then, the two of you get in line to buy lunch. Neither you nor Mayumi were able to pack anything today so buying was a better option than starving. Afterward, you and Mayumi find a table outside to eat.

"Hmm," your friend hums, "food's not that bad today, but it's nothing compared to Satsuki's cooking."

"Agreed," you nod before beginning to eat the lunch you just paid for.

"Hey, Mayu?" you decide to ask her after a little while of contemplation, "is my cooking any good?"

Mayumi doesn't look at you. Instead, she nods silently and takes another bite of her food.

So he was right.

"I'm being serious," you sigh. "You can be honest."

"It's... not horrible," she finally admits.

You sigh, finally accepting the sad truth. "Honestly, nobody ever taught me how to cook so I'm doing the best I can."

"W-wait, I wasn't trying to be rude or anything!" Mayumi begins to apologize, "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Like I said, your food isn't bad b-but it's not at its, um, peak potential."

After listening to her ramble on for a while, you're finally able to calm her down. You then move on to asking her what time you're both required to start working later that night.

"Be there at five," she nods. "But you need to be ready to go by then."

"Alright, thanks."

The two of you then finish your lunch, chatting about whatever other light conversations the two of you could think of.

After school, you and Mayumi walk out of your building together and through campus until you need to split up.

"I'm going to call Satsuki before work," she tells you. "I want to make sure everything's alright."

"Good idea. Keep me updated, okay? And tell Satsuki we're here for her in case she needs anything! I'll send her a text, too."

Mayumi flashes you a bright smile and an energetic thumbs-up before saying goodbye and walking out of your sight. You take that moment to send Satsuki a text, asking her how she is.

As you do, you start walking again. You round a corner as you press send and, just in time, you look up to narrowly avoid colliding with the person in front of you.

"Suga?" you say in a confused tone as if it was strange to see him at school.

Not again.

He flashes you a grin accompanied by an almost mischievous look in his eyes. "I was just looking for you!" he says excitedly.

"Me? What for?"

"Because I want to borrow you for something... If that's okay with you."

"S-sure but don't you have practice?" you continue to press.

"So many questions," he laughs. "I was just about to go there now to tell the captain I won't be there today."

"I thought you were just looking for me..."

"I was, but now that I found you..." he grins, "you think you can cover for me?"

"I've got such a bad feeling about you," you comment as you narrow your eyes at him.

"Ah, don't be like that. Come on, let's go."

Suga ushers for you to follow him. The two of you begin your walk to the boys' volleyball gym together. You follow closely behind, interested yet skeptical for what's to come.

"Suga? What is it that you have planned that you want to skip volleyball for?"

"Eh, it's not like I'm going to do much at practice today so don't look too much into it," he shrugs. "However, I'm not going to tell you my plan. It is a surprise after all."

Why does he always shrug off volleyball like that? It seems like he really enjoys it when he gets to play.

The two of you soon arrive at the gym. You continue to follow Suga up the front steps but stop at the entrance as he approaches a few of his friends inside.

As you glance over the faces of Suga's friends, you begin to notice quite a few familiar faces. One that stands out is the short orange-haired boy who was in your class the other day currently running up to your classmate.

"Suga, you're here!" he cries as he looks up with big eyes at his teammate.

"Yep." You can practically see Suga's smile from where you stand, although his back is turned towards you.

"Hinata, how's Natsu feeling after her fall at the zoo the other day?" Suga then asks.

The zoo? That must be how Suga got the idea of going to the zoo. Maybe Natsu is in Yasuko's school.

You're soon pulled out of your thoughts by a voice saying "excuse me," from behind you. Turning around, you see a tall, seemingly intimidating man with a slight grin beside you.

"Oh, I'm sorry," you say quietly as you step aside.

"Do you need help with something?" he then asks.

"Um, no..." you turn your head towards where Suga had been talking to the orange-haired boy, hoping he would help you out.

"Ah, Daichi!" he calls out to save you from the awkward moment. "I was just looking for you!"

Didn't that asshat already say that twice today?

"Look, I've got to give my cousin a ride home from school today... I won't be able to stay for practice."

You glance over at Suga who's now donning his usual grin. A small part of you hopes that the captain will see right through his antics, and as you look over at the tall captain you see that may indeed be the case.

 A small part of you hopes that the captain will see right through his antics, and as you look over at the tall captain you see that may indeed be the case