Chapter 90

"kai chisaki, arrested for the abduction and confinement of a young girl, is the young head of the designated villain group, shie hassakai. as police were transporting him, they were attacked by the league of villains. during this incident, sand hero: snatch, who was there as backup for the escort, was killed. there were also a number of police officers injured. this attack on a villain in transport is an unprecedented failure."

"this is all they've been reporting on since yesterday." recovery girl says to you, izuku and aizawa who watch the news in the hospital waiting room. "this isn't something you should feel responsible for." aizawa says to you two. "you don't have to worry about it."

"but..."

"for now, the students are to return to school. they want to monitor mirio a little longer, but the other students have been healed completely by recovery girl." aizawa informs.

"they should be here soon. i'll stay a while longer to heal a few more of the patients here." recovery girl stands up.

"can't we stay too? you know, until eri's awake?" you ask.

"even if you stay, the situation won't change. all we can do is leave eri to the doctors." aizawa shuts down.

"i know, but.."

"midoriya. rai."

sighing, you look around the hospital knowing it's no use to push the topic. "before we leave, we're gonna go see mirio. please watch our stuff for us!" izuku asks before quickly setting his stuff on the seat.

"y/n."

you set your stuff down off as well before quickly following izuku, despite aizawa's calls for you to come back. you almost have to run to catch up to him but eventually, you're by his side as he knocks on the third year's door.

"it's midoriya. and y/n-"

"hey you!"

you both step into the room with a shocked expression, watching mirio do bicycle pedals on his bed with a bright smile. "morning, midoriya! rai! it looks like i'm the only one stuck here another day so they can monitor me! even though i'm so energetic! damn it!" mirio says enthusiastically.

"mirio..." izuku whispers, walking towards him. "i know." mirio says. "i've lost my quirk. and my mentor has passed away. i shouldn't be laughing in a state of mind. but that's why nighteye wasn't really that way with you two, but when he was with me, he actually smiled a lot."

smile a society without cheer and humor..will not have a bright future.

"that's why i'm not going to cry. because i'm going to be a fine hero someday." mirio explains, looking out the window. "if i look gloomy, then eri will probably also feel bad." he explains, turning to you with a straight face.

"even when your quirk was taken away, you still kept protecting eri by yourself, didn't you? compared to that, i was supposed to protect eri, but i needed her help, and mr. aizawa's. if you'd be the successor, then nighteye might... if i said i could give my quirk to you, then-"

"izuku."

"i don't need it."

mirio's voice is soft, but yours in harsh. izuku turns to you and flinches when you stare at him with a glowing eye, that eye being the only visible eye he can look at due to the angle.

"stop bringing yourself down-"

"if that were really possible, and you gave your quirk to me, then it'd cause you trouble, right? i don't know what you're so dejected about, but you did a good job! you're deku, the hero!" mirio boasts. "besides...erasure told me about eri yesterday. later, if eri is able to use her quirk properly, then i'll ask her to rewind me back to when i did have a quirk. even if that doesn't work, i'll try a bunch of things to get back to normal. i'll probably have to take some time off from u.a until much quirk comes back, but anyways, i'm fine. i have what nighteye predicted with his foresight! so, let's keep smiling!" mirio smiles brightly, lightly nudging izuku's cheek with his clenched fist.