Bucky Barnes- See You Later (c)

You knew the day would come but you could have never imagined that it would be so painful, it was worse than you ever thought it could be. Everything about the war was worse than you could ever have thought it would be. You had naively and selfishly hoped that the war would stay on the other side of the world, that there would be no direct influence on you but that was a stupid belief. It wasn't long before the war affected the states as well, any young and fit men sent off to fight alongside the so many other countries already in the midst of battle. As a woman, you knew you weren't going to be forced into action, at least not in that sense, rather just encouraged to help in production of necessities of war or to take on a role to assist the troops.

Working for the war effort wasn't a concern for you, you were just glad to do your part, but you were far more worried about your fiancé, Bucky. He was conscripted as soon as American troops were needed and although you knew it was what was necessary and that he also wanted to do his part, you were far more terrified of what this would mean.

You had heard more horror stories than you could count. The terror that was found amongst troops and the inevitable damage that was to come. Whether he would come home to you was one thing but whether he would return as himself was a different matter.

All you could hope was the war would end before he would need to leave. That didn't happen. He had his bag packed and his uniform on by the time your tears began to fall uncontrollably.

"I'm sorry, doll," he smiled weakly, resting a gentle hand to your cheek, wiping away tears from your reddened cheeks.

"It's not your fault," you croaked. "You have to go."

He checked his pocket watch to see the time before frowning as he had no more time to spare before he needed to head off.

"I guess we should say our goodbyes," he sighed.

"Saying goodbye is too painful, can we just say see you later?" You asked.

Bucky nodded his head.

"I will see you soon, doll. I will be back here before you know it."

He pressed a kiss to your cheek. "You have no need to fret."

You furrowed your brow at him, knowing it was more than necessary for you to worry, more than necessary for you to panic about losing the man you loved.

"I love you," you whispered.

"I love you too."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.