Steve Rogers- Dance Hall: Part 4 (c)

Steve escorted you to the dance hall that wasn't too far from your home. It had hurt you every time you had passed it, having been unable to enter it or think of ever going back in there until you were able to walk through those doors hand in hand with Steve. He told you about everything had happened, about working with the SSR and the experiment he had been part of and how he was now a super soldier that could help change the trajectory of the war. It all felt unreal but the excitement in his voice meant that even if it sounded terrifying and dangerous, you'd follow him to the ends of the earth.

As soon as you entered the dance hall, all eyes were on the two of you, or more correctly, on him. Some people didn't recognise him as the scrawny Steve Rogers they had bullied or laughed at, only seeing the conventionally attractive man he was now, whilst others whispered about how it could be that it was the same scrawny man.

It felt overwhelming to see women giggle and wave at your date, but any nerves were instantly diminished when you noticed that Steve hadn't looked at a single one of them, only able to look at you. Once he had led you onto the dance floor, not aware of the fact that everyone was watching him, he turned to you, holding out his hands to you. You happily accepted them, ready to dance together. When his arms were around you, it finally felt like you were home, that nothing had changed, and he hadn't been gone for months.

"You cannot believe how often I have been thinking of just this," you sighed, contently, resting your head against his chest, something that you couldn't easily do before.

"I'm sure it was just as much as I did," he smiled. Nothing can compare to being here with you."

"I've missed you so much, Steve," you whispered. "Please don't leave me again."

He gently rested a hand under your chin, lifting it up to look him in the eyes.

"I will have to leave soon but as soon as the war is over, I will never be leaving your side again and until then, I am not going to be gone nearly that long," he assured you. "I cannot bear the thought of not getting to be with you for that long again."

"I guess I can accept that."

The two of you fell into a blissful silence, moving slowly to the band playing, and enjoying being back together once more.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.