Steve Rogers- Dance Hall: Part 2 (c)

Six had come and gone without any sight of Steve. You waited patiently until the evening had waned and you were left sat alone, falling asleep sat in the armchair, still in the dress you had picked to wear to the dance hall. When you awoke, you had hoped that Steve had come home but didn't want to wake you. There wasn't any sight of his coat or shoes by the door, and when you checked the bedroom, the bed was still made how you had left it the day prior.

Your first stop was to his best friend to see if he knew where Steve could be before heading to anywhere you could imagine he could have gone, knowing that law enforcement couldn't care less about him having gone missing.

Hopelessness had consumed you by the fourth day. You thought you would never see him again something you had never imagined would happen. You didn't know what you were meant to do without him, or how you would find him.

The envelope that came to your door that day answered all of your questions but seemed to form many more. The letter was from Steve, written in his perfectly formed handwriting, telling you of where he had been the last few days. He apologised profusely for disappeared but told you excitedly of having been enlisted, but for a special assignment that he couldn't tell you much about. He promised to be home soon and to send further word when he could, along with promising to take you dancing as soon as he saw you again.

You were glad he was safe, and glad he had gotten what he wanted but you couldn't help the pain that consumed you. You hoped he wouldn't see combat, but you didn't know what he was going to be doing, or even where he was. As far as you knew he was no longer in the state, or maybe even the country but you had to believe him and hope that he would be back soon and that until then he was happy and safe.

It was impossible to rest easy. Without him by your side, all you could do was be worried and as days became weeks and weeks became months, the pain never eased but you tried to fall back into a rhythm of life that you had before Steve disappeared from your life.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.