Scott Lang- Rainbow Hippo (c)

Scott always spoke fondly of Cassie, so when you started to date, you were under no illusion of what you were getting in for. He loved his daughter dearly and wanted to do more for her, and you were fully supportive of that. You imagined when he told you of his ex-wife that you would end up hating her but actually you liked Maggie and you understood why her relationship with Scott didn't work out, you appreciated the honesty she had about it and the lack of bitterness between the two of them.

As soon as you met Cassie, you were wrapped around her little figure. You weren't trying to be a mum to her, you were trying to be whatever she wanted you to be; mainly just a safe adult that would make sure she stayed happy and healthy.

Scott didn't get to see her as much as he liked, but when the two of you did have her, you made the most of it. He had a Saturday with her, so you had bought the three of you tickets to the fun fair that had come into town and you knew they were both beyond excited to spend the day there.

You went on a couple of rides before you stopped for some candyfloss and moved onto the booths with intricate tasks to win overpriced prizes. As you passed a stool with dartboards, you noticed Cassie's eyes widen at the sight of the prize.

"Do you want to try and win the giant rainbow hippo?" You offered.

Her head began to nod at a rate you didn't realise was human. You handed over two dollars to the man who handed Cassie the three darts and explained how many points she needed to win to win each size of prize. She poked out her tongue as she threw the three darts, two of which hit the board. She let out a sigh but smiled to the man as she made her choice of a small purple bear on a keychain.

Scott practically puffed out his chest as he stepped forward, thrusting more money at the man.

"Let me win it for you," he grinned, very assure of himself.

He threw his darts but managed to score lower than his daughter, reluctantly taking the purple cat keychain to hand to Cassie. Scott exchanged more money for more darts but didn't do any better. He tried a few times, collating a rainbow menagerie of keychains for Cassie to juggle, unable to land anything better than his daughter had.

"Dad," Cassie smiled softly. "I don't mind, look how many of these I have, they are better than the big one anyway."

It might have been easier if his daughter had thrown a strop, it may have justified his persistence for the toy that was worth less than the money that he had already spent.

"I want you to get the one you want," he grunted, throwing his last dart again, once more failing.

Cassie let out a sigh, not knowing what else to say to convince him that she would still be happy without the toy.

You gently touched your boyfriend's arm to try and draw his attention from the dartboard.

"How about I have one try? Then we've all had a go, and then we can call this an end of this booth, and move your machismo onto hook a duck."

Scott was reluctant but seeing the pleading eyes of his daughter, he accepted the deal. You handed over the last two dollars in exchange for three darts.

You carefully threw the three darts, each hitting the mark you had been aiming for. Neither of your companions had expected such a thing to happen but you could see the joy in Cassie's eyes as the rainbow hippo was handed over to you.

"H-how?" Scott spluttered.

"There's a lot you don't know about me Scotty," you grinned, thrusting the giant plush toy into his chest, finally leading the three of you away from the booth.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.