Bucky Barnes- Always (c)

Growing up, you had only made two friends. Steve was your next-door neighbour, and your mums took turns babysitting the two of you to give the other a chance to work freely and do whatever they needed to do around the home without the fear of who would be watching their young children. The two of you were forced into a friendship of convenience but soon realised you had a lot in common and through him you ended up befriending his best friend Bucky. For as long as you could remember, you had liked Bucky more than you should have liked a friend but the only person you ever talked to about that was Steve, under the threat of death if he ever said a word about it to anyone.

As you aged, you only liked him more, but he seemed to show interest in any other woman other than you, so you accepted your fate as ending up with whichever man asked for your hand first whilst you forever pined after one of your best friends. You focused on training as a nurse and avoided conversation with any men, not wishing to have to turn anyone down or ending up feeling obligated to agree to a date. Seen as he seemed to pay all his attention on other women, you assumed he hadn't noticed your own dating life, or the lack of it, at least not until the two of you were walking alone back to your respective homes.

"You know John? John Smith?" Bucky asked.

"The one with the balding?"

He chuckled but nodded his head. "He asked about you today."

You rolled your eyes. You had known John for a while, and he had made it clear that he had interest in you, but you had luckily avoided any direct asking of courtship by acting dumb and then avoiding him like the plague.

"He can ask all he wants, but it's a waste of his breath."

Bucky cocked an eyebrow at you. He knew that you weren't fond of John but from what he knew, you had never been fond of anyone.

"Do you have a secret boyfriend?" He asked. "The only two guys I've ever seen you talk to for more than a moment is me and Steve. Are you secretly holding a flame for him?"

You couldn't help but laugh. "No and no. I love Steve like a brother, and if I liked him more, both of our mothers would be smiling in their graves, God bless their souls. Maybe I like someone else?"

Regret had never hit you so quickly.

"Who is it?" He questioned.

You kept trying to push the question away, but he repeated it again and again, wondering who you could have liked especially when you accidentally admitted that you had liked them for years. You tried to stay strong and stay quiet, but he had managed to get on your nerves far quicker than you anticipated and you snapped at him instead.

"It was you the whole time. It's always been you," you snapped.

There was no choice in turning back now. The two of you had stopped walking and you were now trying to not run away in fear of his reaction. You had loved him for so long. You had come to accept the fact that you'd never be together, but you were desperate to keep him in your life somehow even just as a friend.

"Look I know you don't like me. I came to accept that a long time ago, you just set my standards for a gentleman too high for me to accept anything less," you explained.

A small smile curled onto his lips as he stared at you for too long for your comfort.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Fuck doll," he laughed, running a hand through his hair. "Steve told me to ask you out dancing, and that you'd say yes, but I never believed him. I thought he just wanted to see you punch me in the face."

"He said what?" You exclaimed. "I'm going to kick his arse."

Bucky shook his head taking your hand to take your focus onto the gentle contact rather than your anger for your shared friend.

"How about you let him live, and I take you to the dance hall when you get out of work tomorrow? How does that sound?"

Your cheeks became redder. "I would love to."

~*~

Writen by Charlotte.

tumblr Request.