Long Night of Solace (Halo-Reach)

Szurdok Ridge, Utkozet

August 13, 2552 20:07 Hours

Auntie Dot (COM): "Our foe is more devious then we imagined. That spire was indeed a teleporter linked to a cloaked, Covenant Super-Carrier... A grave threat."

Noble Three, Five and yourself arrive at a cave, Jorge carrying a large briefcase.

Auntie Dot (COM): "Thankfully, help is imminent. Sixty percent of the UNSC fleet is en route to Reach from existing deployments. The first battle group should arrive within forty-eight hours"

Jorge tosses the briefcase at Emile's feet.

Jun: "Forty-eight hours? (removes his helmet) That's imminent?"

Jun wipes off Jorge's shoulder pauldron.

Jun: "Uh-oh. Who's your money on this time?"

Jorge: "Her."

Jun: "You always pick her."

Jorge: "She's always had him dialed in."

Catherine: "That thing's crushing us, and we,re waiting for backup? They'll be backing up a graveyard."

Carter: "All our nukes are either out-system or went down with the ships that carried them. You're preaching to the converted."

Catherine: "How converted?"

Carter: "I know that look, Kat."

Catherine: "You can say no."

Carter: "No"

Catherine: "You don't even want to hear it?"

Carter "...Fine. I'll hear it."

Catherine: "Remember that accident a couple years back? Colony ship en round to Cygnus. Seven hundred dead?"

Carter: "Vaguely. A slip-space drive malfunction, right?"

Catherine: "Actually, it worked fine. The drive was mounted improperly after a service haul-out. When it fired it teleported half the ship to oblivion."

Carter: "And this is relevant...how?"

Catherine: "A certain Covenant Supercarrier could, with some assistance, suffer the same unfortunate accident..."

Carter: "Even for you, Kat, that's-"

Catherine: "Inspired?"

Carter: "Not the word I would use."

Jorge: "What's going on?"

Carter: "Go ahead. Explain.

Kat reaches for Emile's kukri, but he stops her.

Catherine: "May I?"

Emile allows her to take it.

Emile: "Don't cut yourself."

Catherine: "Objective? Destroy Covenant Carrier in geosynchronous orbit above us."

Jorge: "This sanctioned, sir?"

Carter: "What do you think?"

Jorge: "Oh."

Catherine: "Method? A slip-space drive in lieu of the nukes we don't have. Delivery system? Us. Solvable? Getting us up there. That, and getting our hands on a slip-space drive."

Kat gives Emile back his kukri.

Catherine: "Thank you for sharing."

Carter: "So...all we need is orbit-capable transport, and the single most expensive piece of equipment made by man?"