Chapter 31: I Can Explain. I Think.

Recap:

Behind him, Elena gasped as she ran to her sister. "Oh my God, we need an ambulance, Damon, hurry," Elena stuttered as they saw Talia was unconscious. She crouched down and with a shaking hand, she touched Talia's hand. "She's very cold," Elena panicked as Damon stared, dumbfounded at her bloodied state.

"What's the commotion?" Ric called as he walked in. His eyes fell on his daughter and he ran towards her. "Baby! Baby, Talia, sweetie, wake up," Ric was frantic as he saw she was bleeding and covered in blood.

"Damon, you take her to the hospital, you'll get there fast. Elena and I will follow," Alaric commanded. Without a word, Damon carefully scooped Talia up before he sped off into the night.

Behind the trees, Klaus was watching as Elena and Alaric jumped into their car and sped off. "So long, love," he murmured before he sped off.

Chapter 31:

It was just after 5AM and Alaric was seen pacing the hospital corridor, an anxious Elena seated with Jeremy. It had been a couple of hours since Talia was found on the doorstep of the boarding house.

A young doctor walked up to them. "Talia's family? Your daughter is all cleaned up, and you can go in to see her now."

When the doctor walked away, Damon turned up at that moment. "Everything's sorted," Damon said, giving Alaric and Elena a look. The trio had decided that it was best to compel the doctors and nurses who came into contact with Talia, so it doesn't look suspicious on Talia's records and Talia didn't need to go for future check up, especially as she was so bloodied she looked like a car crash victim. "Let's go."

A young, female doctor walked towards them and looked apprehensive. "Miss Saltzman's family? My name is Dr. Meredith Fell, I need to talk to you about something,"

Ric and Elena looked at each other, worried about what the young doctor would say. "Can't it wait? I wanna see my daughter," Ric said.

"It's urgent," Dr. Fell spoke. 

"You and Lena go, we'll go to her room," Jeremy smiled as he nodded at Damon. 

Alaric smiled appreciatively and he and Elena followed the doctor. In the small office, Elena sat down in the chair, but Alaric was too nervous to sit. "What's this about?" Elena asked. 

"Um. There's no easy way to say this and you guys seem like normal pleasant citizens," Dr. Fell began. 

Elena frowned in confusion.

"So, what does that have to do with my daughter?" Ric asked.

"She... well, like I said, there's no easy way to say this. After we cleaned her up, she was covered in bruises. They were at least 2 to 3 weeks old and some-" Dr. Fell exhaled, "...some are months old. I don't know how that is possible. Did something happen with an abusive ex boyfriend? I'm sorry if it seems intrusive, but I need to know, so I can be sure Talia is okay. As her doctor, I have her best interests at heart,"

Elena's mouth was wide open and Alaric looked stunned. "Bruises? What bruises? What are you talking about? Dr. Fell?"

"Um, you're not aware?" Dr. Fell asked in a horrified tone.

Ric shook his head. 

"Where does she have the bruises? I remember her saying that she slipped in the shower. But... but then she said she walked into a door," Elena spoke as she thought about the times Talia was in pain; after jogging, during the dance off, when she jumped on her in bed.

"These bruises are not consistent with everyday injuries. Someone has deliberately hurt her," Dr. Fell murmured.

"What?" Elena was aghast.