Chapter 3: Awkward...

Recap:

"Who's asking?" Alaric murmured quietly, lifting the tumbler to drink the last bit of the amber liquid. Even though her gaze was firmly fixed on the man in front of her, she was aware that the other three guys heard him and were eavesdropping.

"Your lost long daughter," Talia replied with a nervous smile. "It's been a long time, huh?" The other two guys were looking gobsmacked whilst the guy in the suit looked amused.

SMASH!

The tumbler had slipped out of Alaric's hand, drops of liquid spattering the girl and him.

Alaric looked at the girl puzzled before realisation dawned on him; this was his baby, Nathalia. He stared at her with his mouth hanging open.

Chapter 3.

Talia could feel a few pairs of eyes staring at her shocked. She looked at her father's face to see any signs of recognition. Unfortunately, he was still stunned into silence. It looked as if he was in deep thought. Suddenly there was a snort of laughter, causing Talia to turn around and frown slightly.

"Puh-lease, you gotta be kidding me" the black haired man smirked.

Talia became annoyed. "Who the hell are you?"

The black haired man smiled arrogantly before bowing down a little. "Damon Salvatore, and you are?" he had a half smirk on his face and looked irritating. "Suppose that you are Alaric's daughter, how did you find him?" Damon was now eyeing her with suspicion. 

"Oh, I just went on this website called families reunited and his name just popped up" Talia began sarcastically before turning back to her father. "Look, if you don't believe me, how can I prove I'm your daughter? DNA? I haven't travelled all the way from England only to be told my father doesn't believe me."

Alaric looked at Damon and the green eyed guy, who was staring at Talia. He looked back at Talia and asked her calmly, "who's your mother?"

Talia looked at him and replied in a clear and confident voice. "Isobel Saltzman, previously known as Isobel Fleming. I've been told that she died when I was a baby." Talia could not help but notice that Damon shocked. Before she could say anything more, Damon turned to the man in the suit.

"Elijah, is she a vampire?"

Elijah shook his head, stumping Damon further. Damon glanced at Talia before turning to Alaric. "Let's take this conversation to the boarding house."

Alaric nodded, he glanced at Talia, looking for some resemblance to his late wife. "Come on, we'll chat away from prying ears." Talia, who was nervous, smiled at him and began to follow Damon.

"Hey, my name's Stefan," the green eyed man smiled warmly at her. "That's my brother, sorry if he acted like a jerk. He tends to do that." Talia was glad of someone to talk to who didn't look at her like she had just escaped from a zoo.

"It's ok, I'm Talia, short for Nathalia," Talia smiled, but as soon as she said her full name, Alaric stopped in his tracks, causing Damon to bump into him.

"Nathalia," Alaric whispered, his heart beating faster. He now knew for sure that she was his daughter despite the fact that Damon, his best friend, had reservations. He could hardly blame Damon as he was always paranoid that people are out to hurt him and his loved ones. Nathalia was the name that he and his late wife had chosen before their daughter was born.

Talia's POV:

When I said I'm his daughter, the man froze before dropping his drink. I winced as some of it splashed on me, bringing back painful memories of when my adoptive father threw lukewarm tea in my face because it wasn't hot enough. Back in the present, I heard a snort of laughter that tensed me up. I felt uncomfortable when people laughed at me.