Chapter 80: We Fight Hard but Love Harder.

Recap:

"Well, why on earth are you whinging? I'll do whatever I want, Elena, and I'll keep safe doing whatever I want. You can trust me, Lena. And look, at least I actually come home."

"You were missing for the last 2 days!" Elena snapped.

"Oh, come on, Elena. I was hardly missing."

"I was this close to getting Caroline's mom to put out a missing person's ad out!" Elena screeched. "Why did you leave? And Damon, he kept saying you were fine."

"Maybe I wanted to get away from you and your whining, god..." Talia muttered under her breath as she reached to pick up her suitcase. But her head swung to the side hard and her left cheek began to sting. Talia felt her cheek with a shaking hand.

Elena gasped, covering her mouth with her hands. "Oh, my God, Talia, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have hit you. Here," Elena sped away and came back with an ice pack. She tried to put it on Talia's cheek, but the younger girl yanked herself away.

Talia did not say anything as she calmly opened the front door and walked out of the house. Elena stood there, frozen in shock.

Chapter 80:

Elena was sitting alone at the kitchen table when Jeremy walked in.

"Hey,"

"Hey," Elena cleared her throat. 

"So, no Talia yet?"

Elena didn't say anything.

"I'm so hungry," Jeremy rummaged through the fridge and sighed. "I need food."

Outside, Klaus walked up the front steps and knocked on the door. After a while, Elena opened the door with Jeremy standing behind her. "Tal-" she stopped talking when she saw who it was.

"Good evening, Gilbert clan."

"What do you want, Klaus?"

"I've come to fetch my hunter. Seeing as how my brother's become a liability and I had to cut my trip to Italy short, Jeremy will be safer with me."

"I think I'll pass. I've killed enough people for you." Jeremy snarled. 

Klaus was amused. "You think you're safer here? Hmm. Clearly you don't know Kol. He'll stop at nothing to get what he wants, so strange as it may seem, I'm your best bet."

"Sorry, but I think we'd rather take our chances."

"Fine. But when Kol does come - and he will come - be sure to let me know, preferably before he burns your nice little home to the ground." Klaus smirked at Jeremy, "And as for you, hunter, there's no shortage of people to turn or loved ones to threaten, so sleep well. We'll plan on finishing our work tomorrow." Klaus turned and left. Elena slammed the door after him.

Klaus smirked as he walked down the stairs slowly.

Inside the house, Elena was worried while Jeremy looked at his phone. "That's another problem."

"Jeremy, I-"

"What's up?" Jeremy looked up. "Look, don't worry about Klaus, I won't do anything he tells me," Jeremy stifled a yawn and looked around. He saw Talia's suitcase and smiled. "Where's Talia?" Jeremy asked. When Elena did not look at him, he stood in front of her. "Elena, where is she? She's clearly home, I mean, I see her bag there,"

"She went off again," Elena mumbled.

"What?" Jeremy frowned, "Elena, why would she go off again? Did something happen?"