Chapter 2: Here We Go...

Recap:

Feeling sick, Talia didn't know what to do. She had travelled many thousand miles only to almost chicken out. She sighed and slowly walked towards the door, stopping a short distance. She rang the doorbell after muttering, "here goes nothing."

Chapter 2:

Talia rang the doorbell again before the door was yanked open and a tall man barged into her. He had headphones on and was clutching an apple. "Whoa!" He looked down, taken aback by the girl in front of him, who reminded him eerily of his sister, Elena. 

Talia looked at him, observing him carefully. Tearing her eyes away, she looked at the wall outside again to check whether she was at the right house even though she knew deep inside, it was the right house as she had stared at it for some time before mustering up the courage. Looking back at the door, she smiled as the guy and introduced herself. "Sorry, hi, my name is Talia. I'm looking for someone called Alaric Saltzman. He's my fa-" Talia stopped and smiled. "He's my old friend, I'm from England." She said this so fast that the man barely had time to take it all in. 

"Cool, my name is Jeremy Gilbert," Jeremy grinned. He looked at his hands, which held an apple and his phone. "I'd shake your hand but um, my hands aren't free obviously, like you can't see that." Jeremy chuckled awkwardly, causing Talia to smile. Jeremy went on, "Alaric lives here, but you'll find him at the Grill. That's practically his second home!" 

Talia, who thought this was her brother, was slightly crestfallen as soon as she heard his surname. But it gave her a little hope that perhaps her father hadn't moved on from her mother and her. She was also surprised that he trusted her enough so easily to tell her where Alaric lives, especially as he met her a few seconds ago and she could be a stalker. Smiling to herself, Talia looked up at Jeremy before furrowing her brows as if she's trying to remember something. "Um... where is this... Gr- place?"

Jeremy chuckled. "I'm on my way to the Grill, we can go together if you like?" 

Talia was about to respond when she heard the gravel crunch. A petite was walking up the driveway, her arms folded.

"Bonnie! What you doing here?" Jeremy asked sheepishly.

Bonnie frowned at Talia, sizing her up before turning to Jeremy, fearful that he had moved on after their argument. "New friend? Aren't you gonna introduce us, Jer?" 

Jeremy stuttered before introducing the girls. As he told Bonnie about who Talia was, Talia remained quiet, feeling awkward. She widened her eyes when Bonnie faced her suddenly. "Um... hi."

"Aren't you a little young to be Alaric's friend?" Bonnie smirked.

Talia grimaced mentally. She's right. It looks weird that a young girl is looking for an older guy and claiming to be his mate. Ugh why didn't I say I'm his niece or something. As she mulled on her thoughts with a frown, she was not aware that Bonnie and Jeremy were staring at her, waiting for her to reply. "Appearances can be deceptive, Bonnie, is it?" Talia spoke.

Bonnie did not respond, feeling out of turn. "So Jer, wanna hang?" 

Looking conflicted between helping a stranger and pleasing his girlfriend, Jeremy shuffled his feet. "The guys are at the Grill, we're gonna hang and play pool." Jeremy glanced at Talia before looking at Bonnie. "Wanna come?" he added in a apprehensive voice. "Bon?"

Talia suddenly felt annoyed that she was not going to get anywhere with finding her Dad, especially now that Bonnie was shooting daggers at her. Talia was a little amused, I've barely been in Virginia a few days and already I've made an enemy.