Chapter 42: Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Recap:

After Talia went home and changed into warmer clothes.

Finally, Matt and Talia made their way to the bonfire party near the woods. As they sped past in Matt's truck, a tall man appeared from the shadows. He looked at the truck before walking to the opposite direction.

The wind howled and the man's hood came off. He has not been in Mystic Falls for many years. He was back.

Chapter 42:

Matt and Talia looked around the woods. 

"Um," Talia murmured. "Where's the bonfire party?"

"Shoot! It's actually tomorrow! They're gonna have it at the school. Caroline and the others changed the day and I forgot." Matt sighed. He looked at Talia and chuckled. "I'm sorry. Come on, I'll drop you off."

"Thanks, mate." Talia clapped Matt on his back. The two walked to his truck and drove to the Gilbert residence.

*The next day*

It was 8:30AM and Talia sat on the tree stump in the woods as she watched her father and Elena, who insisted that Alaric trained her before school, especially after what happened with Stefan a couple of days ago.

*flashback*

Elena was looking at Stefan as he stared her down. She decided to ignore Caroline's advice, which was to pretend as if Stefan is not there. "What are you doing? Why are you following me?" Elena could not stay quiet any longer.

"Having a drink and deciding which snack I should have," Stefan smirked as he waved at a group of girls. "Maybe Talia will be tastier..."

Elena glared at him. "What has Klaus done to you?" 

"Maybe, Elena, I've always been like this but you never knew." Stefan murmured. "Maybe you're the one who's made me like this, Elena, the possibilities are endless."

Elena's eyes were filled with tears as she stormed out of the Grill, and Stefan followed.

*end of flashback*

"So the pressure of your punch ejects the stake." Alaric explained to Elena as he handed her a stake and a sleeve.

"Easy enough." Elena murmured and Talia watched her sister, amused, as Elena failed to pull the stake out. "That's weird." Elena muttered as she tried again, but failed. "Must be jammed or something."

"You're not strong enough. Better start lifting some weights, put some meat on your bones." Alaric smiled.

Talia sniggered.

"Thanks for not sugar-coating it". Elena chuckled. "Though Talia is skinnier than me! She needs muscles!"

"Hey! At least I can fight against vampires!" Talia called as she looked at her book. "Well, kind of, sort of."

Alaric laughed and took something out of his bag, showing it to Elena. "You know what this is?"

"A vervain grenade. I've used one before." Elena sighed. 

Talia looked and to her, it looked like a normal grenade. She started to sing Bruno Mar's song 'Grenade' and the other two rolled their eyes. Talia mouthed sorry and went back to her book.

"Moving on. You say you've used this before. Then you know the element of surprise is your only advantage when it comes to a vampire." Alaric said seriously. He pulled the pin out and threw it in Elena's hand. "Surprise."

"Oh my God." Elena whispered as she hesitated for one second before she threw it in the air and it exploded.

Talia squealed as she ducked.