Chapter 44: Kill or Be Killed.

Recap:

"What do you want?" Talia asked as she found herself free to move.

"Your help to kill Niklaus." Mikael spoke.

Talia and Damon looked at each other, surprised. Stefan remained quiet.

"Like I said, get him back in town, I will gladly drive a stake through his heart. Fail, I'll drive it through yours."

Talia nodded and Damon looked worried. Mikael looked satisfied as he walked out.

The other three looked at each other.

"So, I guess we're gonna kill Klaus," Talia murmured as she looked at the Salvatore brothers. "Before he kills us, anyway."

Chapter 44:

*at midnight*

Talia, Stefan and Damon walked away from the Grill in silence, each consumed by their own thoughts. Stefan was thinking about what Klaus would say. Damon fretted about ways to lure Klaus to his death. Meanwhile, Talia was scared about how Rebekah would react to the fact that she was going to help to kill Klaus. She could not bring herself to betray Klaus after her saved her a few times.

"I'll give you 10 points for flair." Damon spoke and Talia frowned, afraid he was going to start something with an unstable Stefan. "10 points is more than generous."

"At least, now we know where Klaus and Elijah learned their tricks from." Stefan murmured.

"Don't think you had to wait till the last second to have your breakthrough, though." Damon, feeling smarmy.

Stefan rolled his eyes. "I didn't have a break through, Damon."

Damon scoffed. "Oooo, Ooooo, my brother is about to die and I just had to save his life for the bajillionith time! Careful, Stefan, your humanity is showing." Damon smiled as he walked.

Stefan scoffed. "So you know what? You're right, Damon. You're right. You reminded me what my freedom felt like. And when we kill Klaus, I'll be free. Free to leave. See, I didn't do this for you, Damon. I won't do it for Elena. I did it for myself."

Damon just smirked at his brother. "Sure, Stefan. Whatever you say..."

"Guys, shut up and tell me what we're gonna go about Daddy Original." Talia spoke as she looked around the car park nervously. "Are you two sure he's gone?"

"Relax, Talia!" Stefan smirked. "You're supposed to be the fun sister. Don't be a boring drip like Elena. Boring is not a good look on you."

Talia looked unimpressed. "Being a mean bitch isn't a good look on you, Stefan, or should I start calling you Stephanie?"

Stefan just smirked at her sass and turned to his brother. "Why are you doing this, huh?" He grabbed Damon's shoulders and shook him. Talia was in standby, in case she had to jump in. "What do you want from me? Why is everybody trying to save me?"

"Because I have to, Stefan!" Damon grunted in anger. "Because you are in this mess with Klaus, because you saved my life. Because I owe you. And I can't just leave you in a cell to rot."

"He's right, you know." Talia murmured. "Plus I got dragged into it and had to leave for Tennessee, missing my sister's birthday."

"Aw, better be careful. Your humanity is showing." Stefan smirked. He turned to Talia. "Why are you taking Damon's side? Don't you remember what I did for you in Tennessee? I killed those vampires after they took you!"

"Yes, you did, but you also bit me!" Talia yelled. "Can't you remember that? Or did Klaus compel you to forget that tiny little fact?!"

Stefan was about to reply when Damon punched the ripper in his face and Talia gasped, dropping her jacket. "Guys! Stop it!" She whisper yelled as the door of the Grill opened. She stood between them, but Stefan was about to get up to retaliate when Damon kicked him. Talia heard a sickening crunch and winced. "Stop it!" She held out her hands and used her magic to hold them apart. "What the fuck are you two playing at?! In case you haven't noticed, the world's oldest vampire hunting vampire just flipping threatened us!! We should be planning our next course of action. Instead here you two are, fighting like alley cats." She lowered her hands. "If you two charge at each other again, I won't be responsible for my actions." She threatened. Both of the Salvatores nodded. "Everything is okay! Just a drunk altercation." Talia called back at the manager. Damon sped over and compelled him to forget what he saw.