Chapter 54: Yeah, Count Me Out.

Recap:

Talia gritted her teeth and moved away from the coffin. She looked at Rebekah regretfully. Klaus watched as she walked towards the door. "You really are a monster. Just when I thought you weren't so bad, you go ahead and prove me wrong."

Once Talia was gone, Klaus' smile fell and he sighed.

Talia reached Matt's truck when there were a few seconds left to spare. "How was it?" Matt asked as he gave her phone back to her.

"Bastard's got Bekah staked in her coffin."

"Woah." Matt murmured as he looked at the mansion from the distance.

"I know. Take me home, please, Matty Matt, my mood's dead."

"Okay." Matt started the truck. "No stop to the ring store?" He added in a cute voice.

"Not tonight, blue eyes." Talia chuckled. "Oh, I'd appreciate it if you don't tell the others about me coming here."

"Done." Matt reversed out and Talia sighed as she looked back at the mansion.

Her phone buzzed and she looked at it. It was Klaus.

I am going to prove you wrong, sweetheart.

Talia raised a small smile before shaking her head. Why are you smiling, he's still a wanker.

Chapter 54:

After Talia told her she was on her way home, Elena was walking along Wickery Bridge after her car broke down and no one answered their phone. She came to a sudden stop.

Stefan was leaning against his car when Elena walked up to him from behind. "How's Talia?" He asked without turning round to face her.

"Putting on a brave face after Noah." Elena wringed her hands. She looked at Stefan. "How are you?" When he did not reply, she sighed. "Stefan... say something. Please?"

"I shouldn't have kidnapped you. The car, the bridge, that was too far." Stefan murmured.

Elena smiled, "Thank you."

Stefan finally turned to face her. "But you shouldn't have lied to me that day. You can't go off and do things like that, Elena. Not while Klaus is still alive."

"I know. I just... I wanted to give Bonnie a moment with her mother... without everything else getting in the way."

"Without me getting in the way." Stefan scoffed.

Elena looked into his eyes. "I didn't plan on kissing him."

"You're better than him, Elena. You're better than both of us." He got in his car and reversed out of the bridge, leaving Elena there.

After 15 minutes, she walked home and sighed as she threw her keys in the bowl. "Lia?" She called. "You home?" There was no answer. "Ric?" Her phone rang and she sighed. "Care? Now? Fine, I just got in. Be quick."

*1 hour later*

Meanwhile, Alaric and Meredith were standing in the living room after they came back from the Grill. Alaric was relieved that the house was empty.

Alaric put his hands on his hips. "You told me your secret. This is mine."

Meredith was surprised. She stared down at the table. "You're a vampire hunter."

Alaric smiled. "Semi-retired."

"You're trying to get out of taking me to dinner, aren't you?" Meredith asked with a small smile.