Chapter 25: Being Called In

Third person prospective

Nick Fury is currently in a meeting with the world security council.

Councilman: This is out of line Director. You're dealing with forces you can't control.

Nick Fury: You ever been in a war Councilman? In a firefight? Did you feel an overabundance of control?

Councilman: You're saying that this Asgard is declaring war on our planet?

Nick Fury: Not Asgard. Loki.

Councilwoman: He can't be working alone. What about the other one? His brother.

Nick Fury: Our intelligence says Thor is not a hostile, but he's world's away. We can't depend on him to help either. It's up to us.

Councilman: Which is why you should be focusing on Phase two. It was designed for exactly this...

Nick Fury: Phase two isn't ready. Our enemy is. We need a response team.

Councilman: The Avengers Initiative you and Agent Rick L/N created was shut down.

Nick Fury: This isn't about the Avengers.

Councilman: We've seen the list. You're running the world's greatest covert security network, and you're going to leave the fate of the human race to a handful of freaks. One of which is a sixteen year old kid who swings around New York City in a red and blue onesie.

Nick Fury: Hey! First of all, I'm not leaving anything to anyone. Second of all, last I checked the Avengers Initiative didn't have an age restriction. And lastly, that boy is my godson. So you want to go for him you gotta go through me first. I promised that boy's father I'd keep him safe.

Councilwoman: Then why let the boy do this?

Nick Fury: Because it's not up to me, it's his decision. Even if I told him no, he'd do it anyway. He's just as stubborn as his father, maybe even more so. Anyway, as I was saying we need a response team. Some of these people may be isolated, unbalanced  even, but I believe with the right push they could be just what we need.

Councilwoman: You believe?

Councilman: War's aren't won by sentiment, Director.

Nick Fury: No. It's won by soldiers.

(Queens, New York)

Y/N's P.O.V

So I'm now spending time with Mia at my place, we've just had a nice dinner and now we're sitting on the couch talking.

Mia just looks at me and smiles.

Mia: Tonight was great babe. Thanks for doing this.

I lean in and kiss her on the cheek.

Y/N: Of course, anytime. Besides I had to make up for that date I was late for.

Mia: Well, I let that one slide as you were busy fighting Electro who was trying to destroy the nearby power plant.

I nod.

Y/N: Yeah, that's true.

Mia puts her drink down moves closer to me.

Mia: I think you deserve a reward for being so lovely tonight.

I put my arms around her.

Y/N: Oh yeah? What'd you have in mind?

She leans in closer and puts her hands on the sides of my face.

Mia: Shut up for a second and you'll find out.

We start making-out and we do this for a couple of minutes until my phone starts ringing.

Mia pulls away slightly.

Mia: (Whispers) Just ignore it.

I nod and stop it from ringing.

Before we could really get into it the phone goes off again.

Mia and I pull away and groan. I pick up the phone and answer it.

Y/N: Hello.

Nick Fury: Y/N, it's me. We need to talk.

Y/N: Really? Right now?

Nick Fury: Yes.

I then hear the back door open and see uncle Nick come in.

I put my phone away.

Y/N: Well, that's a security breach, uncle Nick.

Mia and I stand up and go over to him.

Mia: Good to see you again, Director Fury.

Nick Fury: You too, Ms. Lance.

Uncle Nick then looks at me and hands me a tablet.

Nick Fury: I need you to look this over as soon as you can. Stark has also been given one, we want you to compare notes with him.

Y/N: What? Why? What's this about Nick?

Mia: Is this about the Avengers?

Nick gives me a glare.

Mia: Which I know nothing about.

I chuckle and I go over to the kitchen table with the tablet.

Y/N: It can't be. The Avengers Initiative was scrapped last I checked. Also Stark didn't even qualify.

Mia: I didn't know that either.

Nick Fury: This isn't about personality profiles anymore kid.

I set the tablet up on the table.

Y/N: If you say so uncle Nick. Miss. Lance, a moment please?

Mia comes over to me and looks at the tablet.

Mia: Babe, what is all this?

Y/N: Well, it's all... this.

I throw up the profiles of the other Heroes who have been recommended for the Avengers Initiative, thanks to hologram technology.

It has four other heroes. There's Steve Rogers a.k.a Captain America, Tony Stark a.k.a Iron-Man, Thor a god from Asgard who showed up on earth last year, and finally there's Dr. Bruce Banner a.k.a the Hulk. There's also Agents Yelena Belova, Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton a.k.a White Widow, Black Widow and Hawkeye respectively.

Mia: I should go now.

Y/N: No babe, don't

Mia: Y/N, you have homework. You have a lot of homework.

I look to her.

Y/N: What if I didn't?

Mia: If you didn't. You mean when you're finished?

I nod.

Mia: Well then, I will...

Mia then whispers in my ear about what she'll do when I'm done. I'm not gonna say what, but it's dirty.

Y/N: Okay, deal.

She and I kiss for a moment before she pulls away.

Mia: Work hard baby.

I nod and Mia leaves and goes home.

After saying goodbye to uncle Nick, who needs to go and talk to Captain Rogers. I look at the hologram image of the Tesseract. This is what the bad guy, Loki is after.

As I look at it all I could think was. Why does uncle Nick want it back so badly? Is there something he's not telling me?

I then push all those thoughts aside and get to work.