Chapter 117: A Sliver of Hope

Hearts cry out at the sight of the Sakura twins, who stay on the ground. Akako raises a hand to Mikan's warm cheek, a last whisper falling from her lips, "Thank you... Nee-chan..." she breathes into Mikan's ear, hugging her as tight as she could one final time. "For being my big sister."

Hearing those words, Mikan's body quivers against Akako's.

Akako didn't want to leave her sister. She used every ounce of life in her to grip on to this world and stay with her sister for as long as possible. She wanted to stay in this embrace for eternity, and to always feel Mikan's comforting warmth. She wanted to see Mikan smile every day and laugh with her as they recount memories every night. Akako wanted to live with Mikan and everyone else.

Soft sobs echo throughout the hallway as everyone watches Akako's chest rise for the last time. Mikan keeps holding Akako, even as her hands fall limply to the ground, no longer holding her sister. Even as the light trickles away from her once vibrant, gleaming blue eyes. As soon as the pressure of Akako's hands on her back slip away, Mikan's heart feels as though it was being physically ripped from her chest by a thorny elastic band. A heart wrenching scream erupts from the pit of Mikan's gut- a wail so desperate, it was as though Mikan was trying to give up her own soul through it if it meant bringing her sister back. Her cry tried to reach her sister beyond the world, trying to grab her and pull her back but she was out of reach.

A continuous stream of tears drip from Ruka's chin as his blue eyes watch his best friend fade away from this world. She merely lays in Mikan's arms, staring up to the ceiling with a ghost of a smile present on her lips. In a span of minutes, both of his best friends had left him.... Though one returned to his side, the other had passed on to a new place. His hands tighten around Natsume, unable to move as his chest bounces up and down- whimpers escaping his lips. Once again, Akako only cared to save those important to her, not giving any thought about the consequences it would unleash upon her. Akako had done it time and time again... and Ruka knew that. The boy bites his lip hard, belittling himself for not thinking she would do it again.... If he had realized- if he had taken a moment longer to gaze into her eyes in that moment in the hallway- this might not have happened.

Though despair hung over those in the hallway, Akako had achieved her dream.

Her dream where everyone she loved was safe... and no longer in danger from the principal. They would live in a world where they would no longer be used and the darkness could no longer trap them. She gave up everything to fulfill it but at the cost of her own life.

Sumire looks up to Subaru who was standing a few feet away, tears dripping from her chin. Her heart aches at the sight of her friend of five years, laying on the ground. "Is there nothing you can do? You can't heal her?" She begs the high schooler.

The male lowers his head, burdened by the fact that he could not do anything to save the young girl. "The stone is in Sakura-Chan's body. She's used her Alice to the point that it's deteriorated her heart beyond repair." He explains, "If her heart wasn't so injured.... Even earlier today, we could have saved her. Sakura-chan can keep expelling the Alice stone even without the stealing Alice until it is gone, as one does with their natural Alice. But if she doesn't have the energy... she can't get rid of it."

Akako barely had any energy at the very end. With the little that she did possess, she spent every ounce of it protecting her loved ones... leaving no room to save herself.

Hotaru stands off to the side, tears falling from her violet eyes as she watches her best friend mourn the loss of her other half. Her brilliant mind travels at the speed of light, thinking of how it's come to this. Seeing the two people she loved most in this state... Hotaru couldn't bear to see it. There had to be a way to reverse it all.

That's when the light bulb went off. An idea, a sliver of an idea that briefly glazed through her brain- Hotaru latched on to it. Even if it were a long shot, she would not give up this easily. She rolls the idea throughout her mind, planning to see if there was any way it could possibly work. Without any hesitation, Hotaru steps forward calling out to her brother as well as Nodacchi.

Hearing her voice, Mikan hesitantly looks up towards her best friend. Hotaru's expression of desperation confuses the girl whose eyes then turn towards the brunette. Hotaru drops to her knees, grabbing Mikan by her shoulder. She leans forward, wanting to give Mikan any kind of hope.

"Mikan, don't worry. We're going to save Akako."

The world stops when Mikan hears those words. Even the idea of spending one more day with Akako would be enough for the girl. Hearing her best friend say that she would save her sister.... But a hair of doubt ran through her mind. Akako is gone. How would they be able to save her?

"Believe me." Hotaru says with a strong voice, "I will bring Akako back to you."

A vision of Akako smiling brightly flashes through both their minds. Her blonde hair tied into braids at her shoulders, eyes closed as she grins. Her cheery voice calling out to them with a giggle, excited to see them...

"Don't give up." Hotaru orders Mikan. "No matter what happens, wait for us." With that, Hotaru raises herself to her feet and dashes towards Nodacchi who stares at the girl quizzically. "Imai-?" He's cut off when Hotaru throws her body at him, gripping his shirt tightly while looking up at both him and her brother.

"Please brother! Please Noda-Sensei!" The girl begs, for once showing vulnerability like that of a child. Her eyes cry out to them, willing for them to agree with her idea. "I want... to bet on the possibility down to the last moment! To use all methods..."

Confusion runs through the air in circles as the others try to decipher what exactly Hotaru was hinting at. What puzzle was fu girl studying and trying to put together that they couldn't see?

"Mikan and Akako... their mother and father passed the same way.... For Akako to fall into the same fate- this kind of ending? Mikan surely won't be able to handle it!" Hotaru shouts at Nodacchi, "Even if Akako won't make it, I don't want to give up on her! And I don't want to see the path this will lead Mikan on to.... For her sake- even if it's an act, even if it's a lie- let her have this very last hope! Please."

"Imai..." Ruka stands from the ground, watching as Subaru walks forward. He walks up to Mikan and gently places his arms beneath Akako's body. He lifts her up from Mikan's grasp, unable to believe that he was holding her once lively being that is now all but an empty shell. Her head falls over his arm limply as her arms and legs dangle. Mikan quickly stands, becoming frazzled when he walks towards Nodacchi and Hotaru.

"Hotaru?!" Mikan runs to Ruka's side. "What will happen to Akako? What are you trying to do?" The brunette asks, fearful of the negative repercussions that may occur due to their actions.

"Noda-Sensei?!" Jinno calls out, wishing the man wouldn't do such a risky action that may not result well. But without any argument, Nodacchi places his hands on the Imai siblings shoulders. "Imai-San." He looks down to Hotaru, meeting her firm endearing eyes, "This will only be for the time being until Sakura leaves the academy, to prevent her from breaking down due to Akako's death. Going back to the past, all for an act, are you sure you're okay with this?" He questions, wanting to make sure the girl was absolute in her decision. "Even if we go back to the past, we can't do anything to change her fate. Akako... is dead. There is nothing we can do to change that."

Subaru notices the tears that fill his little sisters eyes when Nodacchi says that. He had never seen her show this much emotion and it causes him great worry for her. "Hotaru..."

Nodacchi gives his final warning as he begins taking the three students into time space. "Please understand this."

"Hotaru...!" Mikan cries out, watching her best friend turn around and smile at her. Ruka and Tsubasa run forward to try and catch them but within a moment, they're gone.

Hotaru's wish fills the air. Her wish takes its place in the wide universe as she begs for some way to save Akako.

'Trust me, Mikan. I will do anything to save our dear Akako...trust me and wait for me. We will definitely meet again. Even if it's just a small hope, I want to keep you and your sister together. I wish for you and Akako... to always smile.'

Short chapter but I wanted to give this to you guys. Love you all❤️