Chapter 89: By your side

Nobara stands, facing Persona who glares down on the girl with an evil eye. Kiryoku and Rui are mere meters away, completely frozen along with some members of the Fuukitai. Tears roll down Nobara's porcelain cheeks as sorrow makes its home in her heart.

Shards of ice begin to circle the perimeter of the two and slowly begins to build up, creating a shelter around them. The ice moves slowly as Nobara uses her Alice to entrap her and Persona.

"Nobara." Persona's voice mimics the sharpness if the ice, "What do you plan on making with this ice house?" His harsh eyes bore into the girl, causing her to shrink into herself. "Do you really think... that locking me up is going to help?" He scoffs.

Outside of the igloo, the ice that was once surrounding Nobara's classmates and the Fuukitai begins to thaw. It melts, gradually freeing the people though the ice around their feet stays intact.

Everyone takes a deep breath to gather their bearings but the giant ice that sits at their side grabs their attention. "What is that?!" Rui stares in shock, "An ice house? With Nobara and Persona inside..." memories of the sweet girl flash through Rui's mind, "Nobara..."

"Persona, please..." the young girl begs, tearfully, "Apologize to Mikan-Chan and to the people you've hurt. Please admit your mistakes! Please... Don't let Izumi-Sensei.. Don't let him see your mistakes again. Persona..."

Nobara's words cause an image of Izumi to cross through Persona's mind, absolutely infuriating him. "Nobara..." Persona snarls, "You..." a murderous aura emanating from his body in black wisps. They crawl and slither through the air, 'The Touch of Death'. One of the tentacles quickly snaps forward, nearing Nobara.

Within Mikan's group, they all stare in worry as Mikan cries out for her friend. "Nobara?! Nobara?! Nobara!" The girl screeches, seeming to somehow sense what was enveloping her dear friend. Akako runs to her sister's side and holds her by the shoulders, trying to keep Mikan grounded. The excruciating calls from Mikan cause Akako's heart to twist in pain for Nobara but she suspected this would happen. Akako knew that Nobara would suffer at least a little bit, going up against that man. But if there was anyone who could somehow save Persona and show him the light... it would be Nobara. That's the one of the reasons why Akako didn't protest to Nobara traveling alone.

Nobara recoils in pain as black smoke whirls around her body. Just as Mikan and Akako had felt their body's deteriorating, Nobara cries out as her skin seems to burn and she feels the pain of a million burning knives. Nobara weakly utters in pain, wanting the sensations to stop. "Per.. so.... na..."

Rui bangs on the ice at the sight, "Nobara!" He calls out for the girl, he calls out for his little sister. Watching the girl, who was as close to family as he could get, whithering in pain caused him to bang against the ice harder.

Memories cloud Persona's mind, causing him to completely forget about the girl whom he was slowly killing. After the death of Izumi, Persona had taken flowers to his grave but -just like everything in his life- he killed them. Izumi had taught Persona how to control his Alice. How to use his so called 'curse' to protect himself and others but Persona couldn't. He couldn't do it without his teacher- the only person who had shown him kindness. And he killed that person.

Nobara sees the awful thoughts that have been ground into Persona's mind. She sees the cogs in his mind turning, remembering everything wrong with himself. The thoughts that have been brainwashed into him.

"Persona.." Nobara grinds out through the pain, "It's not like that. It's not what you think." At this point, Nobara is ignoring the feeling of her body dying due to his Alice. Instead, she focuses on the man whom she cares for deeply. The man who took her in when Nobara was disowned and abandoned by her parents. "You are capable... You can protect other people. Please stop.... Stop thinking of evil thoughts and stepping on others..."