Chapter 94: Isolation

Sakura... wherever she may be.... I hope she can feel me. I wish to know that she is okay. I want to hear her voice- to see her smile. Even just a glimpse. I wish...
I wish to be by Sakura's side.

Whatever happens...
Natsume will do anything to protect Akako.
It's the same for Akako. Without Natsume, nothing would be right.
Because those two were drawn to one another before they were born.

Ruka remembers the past when Akako had been drawn to Natsume who was still in Kaoru's womb. He knew how both sides felt. He would be an awful friend if he was oblivious to it.

But that time, Natsume was ready to throw and put everything at stake... that's how afraid he was to lose Akako...

3 months later

Ruka is snapped out of his thoughts when Koko shouts in excitement. "Waaaahhhh~! It's snowing~!" He raises his hands to the air as everyone else stares at the flakes falling from the sky with smiles on their faces.

Ruka looks away from them and stares back up to the gray clouds.

'Sakura,
How are you doing? Everyone here is doing well. After that time... there were still troubles but with your and principal Shiki's help... right now everyone is living a peaceful life inside the academy.'

Everyone's smiles quickly falter when someone asks a question. "I wonder.... is Mikan-chan and Akako-chan watching the snow too?"

Everyone is quiet for a moment, the reminder of their absent friends invading their minds. Koko is quick to turn the attitude around. "For sure, she's already convinced Akako to make a snowman with her. That's just how she is!" He shrugs.

"But the snow just started falling, how can they make one? Haha!"

'Everyone... talks about you and Akako a lot. It's like... the both of you are here with us.'

"Oh! I remember last year, Mikan-chan made shaved ice from snow and when I ate it, I had a stomach ache!" Anna laughs, "Akako-chan felt bad when Mikan got upset how others got sick, so she ate three! She didn't let Mikan know how awful she felt afterwards, hahaha!"

Sumire shouts in shock, "Wha-?! She really did?! Isn't that kid stupid?!" She shakes her head, Koko butting in, "Not just stupid. Very stupid!"

'How is Akako-chan doing? I know that she wasn't feeling well at that time... has she gotten better? Even a little?'

Ruka glances over at Hotaru who was staring off into the distance, seeming to be lost in thought.

'Imai is doing fine too. But she seems a bit sad. I always notice her looking in the direction where she thinks you might be at. When snow turns in to rain, I remember how you and Akako were at that time. When I do, my heart aches.'

:::

Ruka and the others stand under their umbrellas, watching the group of faculty alongside the twins as they attend Yuka's funeral. Mikan was in charge of holding Yuka's photo while Principal Yukihira stood behind the twins, holding the umbrella over himself and the girls.