Chapter 47: The Alice of Death

Akako's POV

We keep running until we reach a pathway that splits in three ways. "What now? It splits three ways..." Ruka points out as we look down the hallways.

"Natsume should be around here somewhere." I tell them while scanning and thinking of the most effective way of searching.

"Wait, what was it that you said?" Hotaru asks, looking at Ruka, "That's perfect, then. Three of us go the separate ways while one stays here." Hotaru begin running to take a path as Ruka stays still, mouth opening and closing like a fish,"So, we're going to split up?"

"I'll stay here!" I volunteer, raising my hand to indicate that I'm the one that spoke.

"We've not got much time left, don't get lost, Ruka." Hotaru says as she and Mikan sprint in place, "This is not the time to hesitate."

"But..."

I shout in fear when Mikan's and Hotaru's faces grow large and the stare at Ruka, "Are you scared?" Ruka looks just as surprised as I am. "I'm-I'm not scared!" Ruka shouts at them.

"Geez, Ruka has no courage at all."
"Ruka, you really are useless. You really are a spoiled brat."

"What...?" Ruka growls, making me slowly back away as Hotaru waves and goes down her hall. "Okay, I'll go this way. Oh Ruka-pyon, you go this way. When you're alone don't act too spoilt." Mikan points to the right.

I don't comment, because although I know that they're egging him on to encourage him I couldn't handle saying that stuff to Ruka. Mikan runs down the hallway that goes straight while Ruka stays here, fuming. "You guys!"

"Hush, Ruka. You're too loud, do you want them to find us?" Hotaru frowns before handing the both of us some of her panda headphones, "If you find Natsume, contact me with these. Akako-chan, if either one of us comes back then you contact Mikan. Do the same thing no matter what, we all need to be together when we get Natsume out of here. Don't get lost." I smile and give her a nod before she and Ruka go down their halls.

I stand around, instantly regretting my decision. I should have gone with someone, I don't like being here in the dark... Bad memories begin to fill me as I remember all the times that I was locked in dark and suffocating rooms. The darkness that lurked in there seemed to crawl up my skin and cooly caress my cheek when I was crying, the feeling always made me want to shout. It was as though the devil himself was using me as entertainment as I crouched in the corner and cried and trembled.

Shaking the thoughts away, I raise my hand and create a fire to give me light in the dark abyss. I lean against the wall when I hear footsteps from the hallway that Hotaru took, she runs up to me while panting a little."Akako, I've contacted Mikan already. Ruka found Natsume, wait here for Mikan and you two come together. Who know what'll happen to her if we leave her unattended." She shakes her head before heading down Ruka's path.

I look anxiously down the hallway that Mikan went to and sigh in relief when I see her running towards me. "Nee-chan, hurry!" I urge, wanting to get to Natsume as quick as possible.

"But Akako-chan! I need to tell you something impo-!" I grab her hand and start to pull her towards Ruka's path, "You can tell me when this whole thing is over!" I tell her before dragging her. I keep running, wanting to know that Natsume's okay, "But Akako-!"

I stop running.

There's a wall of fire, almost reaching the ceiling. Natsume stands in front of Ruka and Hotaru and I notice that Hotaru has her fan from earlier pulled out. Beyond the wall of fire is two figures.