Chapter 99: Sisters

Mikan's POV

I sit on the ground alongside bear, both of us looking through the countless notes from our friends. I even looked through some of Akako's just to see their handwriting.

I miss everyone so much.

Ruka's book gave me hope. Even though he's not here with me, he is surely still present in my heart. Even Hotaru's letter made me cry. To anyone else, it would seem rude and passive but I know Hotaru like the back of my foot. I know that she's very worried for Akako and I.

Akako had gone outside to the balcony a while ago. I was about to join her and bring her a blanket when I saw Natsume on the balcony as well. Joy gripped at my heart to see our friend, though I knew that Aka-chan needed this time with Natsume. If it were Ruka-pyon and me, Akako would surely leave us alone even though he is her best friend.

Who am I to deny her the same?

So instead, I've been in the room distracting myself with Bear. I grab the star that Akako made me and smile at her writing.

'She made this for me and I wasn't able to make her anything... maybe there is something I can do! Like make her laugh more or make a drawing for her!'

Sure, I'm not the most talented in many things but even if I can make her the slightest bit happy- it's definitely worth it!

The perfect idea comes to my mind and I grab a piece of paper along with a pencil and some colors. I begin to sketch the both of us with two other figures. I mess up quite a bit and have to erase a lot.

In the middle of drawing someone's shirt, the door opens and Akako walks in. I'm grab some of the books and use them to cover the surprise.

"Akako-chan!" I call out with a smile on my face, "Look at the book Hotaru got me! Her note is really mean but remember, this is one of my favorite books?!" I hold up the sleeping beauty fairy tale, flipping it when I realize it's upside down.

Akako smiles back but somethings different. She seems content with the conversation she had with Mr. Rudey Pants, but Akako seems tired. "How could I forget, Onee-chan? Jii-Chan used to read it to us to go to sleep."

Yup. Something wasn't right. I lower the book to get a better view of my younger sister and study her. Her nose and cheeks are red from the biting cold outside but that's not what caught my attention.

Akako was slouching ever so slightly, hands over her chest. It doesn't look like she knew how she appeared; like she didn't realize she looked to be in pain.

Come to think of it...

"Akako, I don't think I saw you take your medicine this morning."

Her blue eyes seem to frown at the thought and she looks off to the side as she thinks. Then they grow wide and my sister rushes to the bathroom. I follow after her, not wanting to leave her alone and be with her in case she starts to feel even mire awful. Akako struggles to open the cap of the bottle, apparently too flustered.

I reach forward and place my hand over hers, stopping Akako from her hasty movements. Her hands tremble beneath mine as I slowly take the bottle away from her grasp. I open the bottle and take two pills like the ones she takes every day to help with her pain. I fill up the empty glass in the sink with water and hand her both pills. She takes them, taking her time in drinking the water.

I know how anxious Akako can get. She.... she doesn't want us to lose anyone else.

I take Akako's hand in my own, like we always have, and lead her to the bed. She lays down on her side and fidgets around.

I have to admit, I'm scared every day. I'm scared when anytime Akako coughs, because I'm afraid that if she starts she'll never stop. I get scared if Akako gets a bloody nose because I don't know if her body is overworking itself. I get scared when she complains of a headache or tummy ache because I'm scared her body will shut down.

I'm always scared.

But at the end of the day, Akako is always smiling at me. We say goodnight to each other and that we'll see each other in the morning.

And I see her the next day. Always with a smile in her face.

Akako lays on the bed, facing me and fiddling with my fingers. "Akako, you should rest." I encourage my little sister, "You may be feeling weak from not taking your medicine today."

She doesn't answer and keeps quiet, instead studying my hand as though it were magical. "Do you want some warm milk? Maybe that will help, it will calm you down-." I offer. Bear was able to leave the room, so maybe he could go and get some thing to help Aka-chan sleep better!

"No." I stare down at Akako, unsure of what may help her or what she needs. "I-..." She stops herself, as though she were having an internal battle.

"What is it, Akako?" I stare at my twin, I will know if she lies to me. When she lies, she looks off to the left and moves her hair out of her face.

She stares at me as well for a moment before sighing and giving in. "I... still can't sleep. Anytime that I fall asleep... it all happens all over again."

Oh... right.

Ever since everything happened, Akako has had many issues sleeping. They were really bad during the first two months but have gotten a little better. Akako used to wake up screaming or crying, holding her body as though she were in pain. I would have to calm her and tell her she was fine. She still wakes up like that a few times a week, I guess she still has the nightmares. She just doesn't wake up screaming anymore.

Akako and I have been each other's support. We're always there when the other wakes up in a cold sweat, crying for Mother or Daddy.

"I'm here. I'll stay right here." I crawl into bed next to her, wrapping my arms around her shoulders as she rests her head on my chest. While we lay down, I raise my right leg and Akako places her left one under it; finding comfort in one another.

Bear turned off the tv and has climbed into bed as well, laying on my other side before falling asleep. It's all silent for a long while before I hear Akako's breathing start to even out.

"Arigato... Nee..-ch..." she trails off.

I watch as Akako trails into the abyss of sleep, finally seeming at peace. I may not have be able to help with my sisters health, but even being able to do the smallest thing like help her sleep makes me overjoyed.

There are few things I can do as Akako's big sister. I don't know how, why, or when, but Akako started to act like the older sibling. Maybe it was when she had to live away from me- she became more independent.

But I want to be her big sister. I am her big sister. So I will do everything in my power to make sure she knows she's not alone anymore.

Okay so I've been gone for a hot minute and I'm sorry!!!! This isn't a very long chapter but I hope you enjoyed!

It's been crazy, I'm finally a senior and this year is already kinda stressing me out but it's okay cause I'm excited to be back in cosmetology!

I'm already getting bad anxiety but hopefully it'll die down eventually👌🏼

NEXT CHAPTER IS NUMBER 100!!!!! How INSANE is that?!

ANYWAYS, comment and vote and thank you all for your tremendous support!! Love you all!