From Winter to Cold

"His temperature is through the roof, we need to cool him down!" one of the doctors in the room ordered the nursed to get some ice. There was a boy on the table, his entire body was red as if every pore was on fire.

"But doctor, we still don't know what is wrong with him." One of the nurses said.

"And we will never know if he fries his brain before we can get his temperature down."

The nurse helped the others break ice packs over the poor boy, but no matter what they did they couldn't get his temperature down. His entire body was covered head to toe with ice as they also poured cold water on him, but nothing worked. His body temperature continued to rise.

A peculiar wind blew that day it blew back and forth as if seeking something, or someone. Throwing hats and knocking over poorly fastened signs it glazed through hair and around trees. It spun in a circle around the Diamond Peaks High school frilling skirts and tossing books unable to find what it was looking for. Blasting in between the suburbs it rocketed with a newfound urgency tipping over bikes and slashing past wind chimes. It happened upon a two-story house, there it seemed to catch the scent it was searching for it. Like a speeding bullet it seemed to understand that time was short. It literally broke into the hospital slamming open doors and knocking over a few people trying to flirt with the nurses. It found the room it was looking for, it was the coldest room in the hospital and under the one under the ice was its target.

The doctors watched as the boys temperature continued to rise, helpless they could do no more than pray. The doors burst open and a whirlwind blasted all the equipment in the room. The nurses screamed as cold ice and water all over the room.

"What in the-" one of the doctors exclaimed.

"Doctor, his temperature, it's... going down." One of the nurses pointed out.

** ** **

The doctor walked out into the hall. "Mr. and Mrs. Deaux?"

Mark and Emily Deaux stood up when they heard their name. Jackson had been in the ER for 4 hours. They had decided to take Molly to school, Mark left when Emily's sister showed up so he could take Molly to school and bring some clothes without leaving Emily alone. She was taking Jacksons incident really hard and Mark was doing everything he could not to let her blame herself for what had happened.

"How is he?" Emily's eyes had been red with tears.

"He is stable, there were some complications and we are still waiting on a few tests to come back, but for now he needs to rest, his body has been under a lot of trauma. His is still unconscious, and you may see him but there are a few things that I want to talk to you about." The doctor held a chart and flipped through the pages.

"What is it? Doctor...?"

The doctor looked up from his notes, "Doctor Kuzco, listen there are a few things that really concern me. How is your sons social life, is he on any sports teams of any kind?"

"No, he is more of a magician or at least when he was in Jr. High he loved magic." Mark answered.

"I see, I thought so. Has he showed any hesitancy about going to school or any abruptness in quitting his hobbies?"

"Well, no kid wants to go to high school, and now that you mention it after his first day of school in Jr. high he didn't want to do magic anymore."

"Does he have many friends?"

"He has a few really close friends, but we don't see them as much as we used to. Doctor Kuzco what is going on?"

The doctor held the clipboard and looked it over once more. "In his system we found high levels of prescription medication that caused him to overdose. We also found a number of bruising all over his body, in his back, shoulders, abdomen,... and face."

"What are you trying to say, that he tried to kill himself?"

"I am just telling you what we found. It is possible that this did not happen on accident, I would like to recommend counseling before he left, because of what we found. His temperature also got dangerously high it is a miracle that he survived his ordeal, we just want to make sure that there is no permanent damage. That being said there is a chance there was brain damage, when you take him he may seem different."

"Different how?"

"We don't know yet. We recommend counseling just as an assessment to see if there are any issues that may have caused this or may have been caused by this. "

Mark looked at his wife and back at the doctor. "We will talk about it, can we see our son?"

"Of course, follow me." Doctor Kuzco walked them to their son's room.

** ** **

Jack's head was killing him, one second he was kissing Elsa, the next he was in a ton of pain. There was black hair everywhere. What is all this hair doing all over me?

He lifted his hand up to get it out of his face only to find out that it was attached to his head. As he was feeling his head, his hand felt something hard and sharp in his ears. "Earings?" as he looked at his long black hair he noticed that his nails were expertly painted. Panic set in.

"AAAAH I'M A GIRL!" Jack panicked, he couldn't even wrap his mind around it. He was wearing a hospital gown, he grabbed his chest and then looked down the front of his gown. "I'M AN UGLY GIRL!"* Jack reached down his gown and breathed a sigh of relief at what he found, "thank the heavens, I'm not an ugly girl." Jack hadn't been that scared in a while.

"Are you all right I heard screaming?" a nurse ran in to the room , Jack looked up and she looked strangely familiar.

Jack cocked his head, "Babette?" The nurse looked just like the maid from his home in France.

The nurse blushed, "just Betty please, how are you feeling?"

Jack noticed how uncomfortable he made her when he said her name, "I'm sorry I-"Jack remembered waking up in France and what the other Jack had told him. If he freaked out or started spouting crazy things it would only make this life all the harder. "I just had a really vivid dream mon cher (my dear), uh I mean Betty."

The nurse giggled and came closer to check the machines that Jack was attached to. "Well I can only imagine that you gained psychic powers in your dream, but please keep my real name to yourself the last thing I need is everyone around the hospital calling me Babe or Baby any more than they do. Now you know my name, do you remember your name?"

Jack concentrated and could not think straight between his memories here or there or even before there, "Jack... fros... Jackson... Cold, cold, Cole Deaux. My name is Jackson Cole Deaux."

** ** **

*AN:This only reflects the opinion of Jack in a moment of trauma and in no way reflects the actual opinions of the Author. ;)