Of Magic and Marriage

When Jack got home he texted Elsa his name and email. Jack waited for a response and while waiting he decided to go through his room. First things first, he got a hair tie and got the blasted stuff out of his face and put it into a ponytail. He put all of his clothes in piles: stuff he could stand and would wash, and stuff that he was going to donate or destroy. Cole wasn't excited over it, and chimed in every once in a while, but accepted it as a necessary evil. He threw away all the garbage a boy's room usually gathers, and tore down the heavy metal posters of bands he had never heard of, and that he knew for a fact Cole had never listened to.

Jack made several trips to the garbage bin outside and when his father asked him what he was doing, Jack merely said that he was in the process of purging and redefining himself. Jack found a red bandana and was grateful for the first bit of actual color he found. He tied it around his head and removed his studs, he then put a ring in one of his ears because it made him look like a pirate. He even said "argh," when he looked into his dresser mirror that was covered in stickers of skulls and quotes.

Once he went through most of the cosmetic stuff around his room, he was left with three and a half garbage bags stuffed in to the corner of his room. Then he faced his greatest obstacle: the Closet of Doom. When he opened it, he found the hangers full of clothes that he hadn't worn in so long they were much too small, and a large pile of junk at the bottom. Something caught his attention that was on the top shelf under a couple shoe boxes.

Jack reached up to pull it out and took half of the shelf with him. He checked to make sure nothing was broken and that there was no spilled liquid anywhere. Satisfied that it was safe, he walked over to his bed and set the large flat box down on his bed. He looked at all the angry marker marks on the cover. Jack could just make out the title through all the scribbles.

Oh please no, just throw it away like everything else. Cole begged

Jack laughed, "not on your life."

Big Box o' Magic. Was the boxes title.

Jack slid off the cover and rummaged through the boxes contents.

"All right, this is awesome. I didn't know you liked magic tricks."

I don't. The pain in Cole voice and his past gave Jack a decent clue as to why he had hidden this box in the closet of no return.

"Oh come on, you got me now. " Jack found a pair of dusty white magician's gloves and put them on. At that moment something fell out of the closest, and Jack felt Cole wince. He looked up to see a black top hat that had fallen out of the closet. Jack went to pick it up and found a stuffed bunny and dove in it.

"No way, this is so cool!" Jack ran back to the box and pulled out and collapsible wand. He went over to the mirror and gave himself a show, after retrieving the magic secrets from Cole's memory, and pulled a rabbit from his hat and made a dove fly into his hand. Jack laughed at the accomplishment and felt Cole loosen up about the whole topic.

I was pretty good back in the day.

"Back in the day? Are you kidding? We are amazing now!" Jack laughed joyfully, it had been the first real time he had had this much fun in this world. That was when he learned something about himself: he was at home when he was alone. It made sense since he had been alone most of his life, it stands to reason that especially around people he was supposed to know, but didn't, he would feel nervous.

Jack's attention was stolen by the sight of his mom's car pulling up the house. He was still really excited about the trip to Europe he wanted to be that first person to welcome her home, and butter her up so that he could go to.