The Trolls

Elsa could not find much else on Father Winter, just a few more storybooks that said pretty much the same things.

One of the windows cracked open and she could see that it was night again. Elsa rubbed her forehead and looked over at Anna who was drooling on the table.

'Bless her heart, she hadn't missed a moment to spend time with me,' Elsa thought to herself. She smiled and kissed Anna on the check leaving a cold ring where her lips had been.

Elsa quietly moved to the door of the library and found a guard stationed on the other side, one of the few still left in the castle after the incident all those years ago.

The incident when as children Elsa had hurt Anna with her powers, in a moment of frenzy their parents had come to this very library and found a map of the forest. They followed the map to a place filled with magical trolls that saved Anna’s life, but took away her memories of Elsa's powers.

Since that day, they had hidden Elsa's powers from everyone. Her parents cut down on the staff and shut out everyone to help keep the secret. Then one day they left on a trip their ship sailed into a storm and was destroyed, they were gone, leaving only Elsa and Anna.

Soon, in a few short months Elsa would be crowned Queen of Arendelle. She would be a queen with powers she could no longer control... that was unacceptable.

"Guard," Elsa whispered while still standing straight and regal

"Yes princess?" The guard whispered back.  

"Princess Anna has fallen asleep; please take her quietly to her room."

"As you wish princess."

When the guard was gone, Elsa quickly grabbed the pen and scratched out a note for Anna to find the next day. She then grabbed the book with the map in it.

***

A horse and a cloaked rider left the castle that night followed by a trail of ice and snow.

The rider gripped the reins and flew through the forest with urgency.

Soon she appeared at a glade lit only by the moon light.

After dismounting the horse, the rider pulled off her hood revealing the fair skinned princess Elsa. 

"Hello, I need your help!" Elsa called out into the night.

At first, there was nothing. Then the unnaturally round rocks around her began to move and roll about. In the blink of an eye, they surrounded her. The moss became clothes while faces and limbs popped out. They were the same trolls that had helped Anna so many years before and she needed their help again.

"Hello princess Elsa, what seems to be the emergency?" The oldest troll asked.

"I need your help in finding somebody," Elsa responded as regal as ever.

"I'm sure this could have waited until morning,"

"No, I do not have a moment to spare."

"Very well, we will help however we can. Who is it you wish to find so dearly?"

"Father Winter."

There was a visible reaction from the entire troll family.

"You don't mean Jack Frost do you?" The elder asked politely yet visible concerned.

"Yes."

The elder’s jaw dropped, and the trolls hushed that instant.