A New Breed of Hunter

"Wake up, Jackson, we're here." Jack awoke to his sister elbowing have in the side.

"Oof," Jack grunted.

They were in a plane flying to their aunt and uncle's house in Europe. Jack rubbed his eyes and yawned. His sister was in the window seat and he was next to her. He looked passed her, out the window and couldn't believe how long it had taken them to fly here. When he had his powers, Jack had been able to cross the oceans in hours at most.

The wind was particularly fast over large bodies of water since there was nothing to slow it down. If there was a storm large enough, he could slingshot himself, and make the trip even shorter.

Sure enough, they were here, and it would still take a good length of time before they could get off the plane.

He looked in the direction of France and England with mixed emotions. They had been both his home, a war zone, and exile for so long he didn't even know what to think about them as he was now returning to them from Jackson's home in America.

Yet, some things hadn't changed. There were still Fearlings to fight and he knew too much about them, and he had also been fighting them for too long to ignore them. At least in this universe they didn't seem to have a leader, like Pitch, as far as he could tell anyway. They were rabid beasts, twice as dangerous on their own, but half as dangerous to the world without leadership.

Remembering the night he happened upon the Fearlings of this world, his hunt was interrupted by the police. Luckily, he had been able to out-run them by going through the neighbor's backyards and hiding until they were gone.

The next morning he was woken by a call from the principal of Diamond Peaks High School, Arthur Pendragon. He called and apologized, he said that Jackson wasn't suspended for anything of the bogus claims Yzma was trying to get him expelled over. At the same time, he couldn't completely lift the suspension from Jackson for yelling at Yzma. Because of the numerous reports and gossip of things said, Jackson was still suspended for at least two weeks.

At the end of the call, principal Pendragon said he recognized there was a problem with Hans and that he would do anything he could to keep the consequences at bay, even if all he could do was not suspend Jackson for not letting himself get punched in the face. He also asked if Jackson would meet with him when he returned from his trip, before going to any of his classes for the day.

Jack was pleased that not everyone at the school was out to get him, and Principal Pendragon sounded like he really cared.

Jack sat back in his seat and let his sister stare out the window. He had seen it a thousand times over three hundred years, and from what he could tell, nothing had changed. He thought about his lot in life, he had been on the plane alone with his thoughts and reflected on a lot of things. He reflected on his hand as Jack Frost, and the cards that fate had dealt him. He really had become a hunter, a Fearling hunter. As far as he knew there wasn't such a thing, the Guardians protected the children and people of the world, in a variety of ways beyond just disposing of Fearlings. From what he knew, it was mostly the Moonbeams job to keep them away from the children, but out of all the creatures he had met or heard about there were no Hunters. He would be the first, the thought of it thrilled him.

The Guardians mostly stood guard over orphanages, and other places that would have large populations of children who were vulnerable. Early on, Jack found he couldn't sit still long enough to do that, so he worked out an arrangement with Bunny. If Jack could slay more Fearlings by hunting them down then Bunny on his patrol, then Jack would be unleashed on the city.

Jack had been doing it so long that it was bred into his soul, not even switching bodies could belay the thrill of the chase and the hunt. It was a need that stemmed from his protective 'big brother' side that he didn't know that he had. That same protective urge had caused him to break every rule of time travel to protect his Elsa. A choice he didn't regret, knowing that she was safe made all of these new sensations bearable.

Jack Frost the Hunter, Bane of Darkness, The Immortal Spirit and Master of Winter, he could only imagine his new role in the world. Maybe the new tales of his legend would be that the reason it was cold at night was because it was when Jack Frost fought the hardest to protect the children of the world. Maybe the cold in the night would become a comfort instead of one more thing to fear. Now that would make a great story. A crooked smile, and a warm feeling found Jack as he thought of his new purpose of goodness and honor. He would have fun during the day with the children, and protect them by night.

It would be his atonement for lying to North and dying on Elsa. Afterward, he could petition to become a guardian for real. Maybe it was too soon to be planning so far into the future, he had never been one to plan ahead, but he couldn't help it, thinking about having a place in the world, even if it was one he gave himself, gave him so much hope. Funny how latent it was, but Bunny really had given him hope, even if he didn't know it.

He looked at his hand, the image of those silvery gloves appeared in his head, something inside told him that the gloves were only the beginning.

Fearlings Beware. Jack Frost is on the hunt. Jack's grin grew wicked as he thought about being feared and beloved, instead of ignored. Life was finally turning around for Jack and he couldn't help but smile at the thought of seeing his Elsa again, as someone who was truly worthy of her love.