Fearlings, Here?

Dinner was fantastic, Mark had been right when he said he knew how to calm his wife down. By the time she got out of the bath, she was singing a lighthearted tune. During dinner, they were holding hands and Mark was making her giggle. Once the initial shock of Jack's face had worn off, she was one of the most excited to be going to Europe for a few weeks. Today was Thursday, they had planned to leave Saturday morning. Luckily, both Mark and Emily had enough vacation, sick days, and favors they could call in that they could leave as suddenly as they planned. Visiting Eric and Ariel was the big topic at dinner, Jack laughed at how funny their stories were about their adventures before kids, and with them when they where new parents together.

Melody was the oldest of his cousins, and was only a year of two older than he was, so they had been close growing up, at least until Uncle Eric moved to Europe.

After dinner, Jack went to his room and put away most of the cleaning mess so that he could wake up and not trip over anything if he didn't have to. When he was just about finished, he heard a tap on his window.

Curious, Jack turned around and saw Zie outside his window, glaring at him. Jack flinched at the arrows her eyes sent at him, as if she wasn't scary enough. He opened the window to let her in just as Cole had always done.

"What is wrong with you, you're obviously not dead!" She steamed.

"Um..." Jack was still not used to being attacked verbally especially by women.

"I have been texting and calling you for hours expecting the worse. Yet, here you are acting like an idiot. When school was over we couldn't find you, you were our ride and you left without telling us. We. Had. To. Call. Our. Parents." She said the last words angrily. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

Jack had no defense for that, how could he have been so careless? Oh wait, it was technically his first day of school and he didn't know any better, not really. He wasn't used to people needing to know where he was. Nobody had ever bothered to keep track of him, not even his servants in France.

"I don't know, after Yzma suspended me and I yelled at her, I just wanted to get out of that place."

That took her by surprise, "she suspended you for what, and wait you yelled at her? Cole what is going on with you?"

"She suspended me for assault, vandalism, and some other screwed up stuff. I lost my temper and she suspended me for that too. I am sorry, I should have told you that I left when I did. Then when I got home, I spent some time with my dad and found out that I am going to Europe for a few weeks. I must have left my phone on its charger I haven't had time to check it today." Jack apologized.

"What!" Zie started having a panic attack or something and started pacing, "how long are you suspended for?"

"Four weeks."

Zie's jaw dropped as she fell to the bed. She took a deep breath before she spoke. "Okay, walk me through today, slowly."

Jack sat on the bed next to her and explained everything. When he was done, they talked about what they were going to do for homework, rides, and other little things.

Zie checked her phone for the time, "oh wow it is late. I should be getting home. Unlike some people I have school tomorrow." She teased playfully.

"Just one more thing," Jack said.

"Wha- oh," Zie tried to ask when Jack hugged her and held her close.

I am sorry Rapunzel, I hope that one day you will be able to forgive me for letting Eugene die. Jack wished against wish that he could say the words in his heart, but Zie was sure to think he was crazy. Jacks body quivered as the memories rushed back so vividly of Eugene tragic demise.