Cole's past and Lady Elsa future

Jack looked at Merida lying silently on the cot, the events of the last couple hours ran through his head.

Yer not really going to sew her up yerself are you?

I sure am, now quit your whining

Merida's breathing was steady most of the time but her fever was still rising.

He looked at the bed where Elsa slept.

No, don't you dare rip that- MY DRESS!

It's just fabric, now dip it in this water and place it on her head.

I-

That's an order, girl!

Jack wiped away some of the sweat around Merida's face and collar bone just above where the blanket covered her modesty. He was going to have to buy her a new shirt.

How indecent!

Here, turn her over more so I can see the wound.

Aye, Cap'n.

Her shirt was currently in a pile of bloody rags in the corner.

There is so much blood! How dreadful!

I've seen more and patched up worse.

Jack turned the bottle of rum over in his hand, he really wished he'd had some of this stuff when this happened the first time.

** ** **

Cole

The two headlights lit up Merida's hair like a brilliant flame, Jack clutched her hand then...

... he was being pulled from the wreckage. The smell of the airbags and the ringing in his ear didn't distract him from pain that engulfed his body. He was strapped to something and hauled away. He turned his head to see a hand dangling through red curly hair dripping in blood from the car. Several men were on their knees trying to pull her from the car... then the door of the ambulance closed and it drove away.

And the world was lost to blackness.

** ** **

Jack hobbled his way down the hall. He had a cast on his arm, a big bandage on his head, and several other wrappings over his chest and legs.

He turned in the room he knew he had to visit despite all of his fears.

"Is she?" Jack croaked, his throat was dry, he staggered when he saw the form with red hair on the bed. A machine beeped in the background, her heart rate.

A man in a white lab coat and scrubs turned around. The doctor.

Jack's head was still fuzzy, why was it so hard to think.

"You're not supposed to be out of bed. Nurse!" The doctor caught jack before he fell to the floor. "Easy there, easy."

"Merida?" Jack croaked.

"She's in bad shape, we are monitoring her condition but you need to go back to your room. You need rest." The doctor was the only thing keeping Jack balanced until a male nurse came along and caught hold of Jack. "Take him back to his room."

It was all Jack's fault...

He blamed himself...

Over and over like a bad mantra...

** ** **

A hand drooped from the upturned cars window wreathed in scarlet hair and dripping with blood.