The Calm before the Storm

I am the chill in the night,

I hunt those that have never known fright.

I am the whisper on the wind,

A protector, and a friend.

-Jack Frost

Jack looked at the mantra he had put on the background of his phone. Cole had helped him with it, and Jack had begun to appreciate Cole's ability to string words together and how the talent rubbed off on him. It had been two weeks since he had been at school and he would finally be returning. Life had been great in Europe, he had even escaped a few times to see the locations he had once called home and battlefield. Each was familiar and different with the passing of time the way it was, and the whole alternate reality thing. He was glad to see that there was no trace of the damages that he caused, and in a weird way, it gave him an odd sense of closure.

He had spent almost the entire time texting Merida. He loved talking to her. Apparently, they hadn't talked much for all the time they had known each other, which meant Jack had been able to develop the relationship himself. It was a unique experience, Jack wasn't necessarily experienced at making friends, Allies against the tyranny of evil: Sure, friends with no other agenda than to laugh together: not so much. To make it even more normal, or weird, he hadn't quite figured that part out either, they had developed it almost exclusively over text and a few phone calls.

Merida was funnier and more down to earth than he expected, he found that he trusted her and wanted to tell her everything about himself and his weird journey through time and space, but he knew better. Especially, considering that he wouldn't believe most of it if he hadn't experienced it himself.

Merida was charming and clever, she was quick witted and compassionate, she was outgoing and easily to talk to. She was a completely different person than any of the Elsas, which had been his only real point of reference for friendship.

He kept in touch with his other friends when they texted or contacted him but he was always engaged with Merida, it felt as if their conversation hadn't ever stopped since he had arrived. He appreciated her unique look at things. It was light and charming, with a little bit of jadedness from a controlling mother. Other than that, she had a particular spark for life and living that drew Jack, he even felt it draw Cole.

Jack's phone buzzed as he was getting home from his early morning run, he had started working out since he had faced that monster Fearling. He realized when he was being chased by the cops that even though the spirit of the hunt inside him didn't tire, Cole very much did.

Besides, a few dropped pounds of fat and a few added pounds of muscles couldn't hurt with the ladies, while in the back of him mind the only women he really saw was Elsa. He knew that at least for the moment, that was a lost cause and he couldn't do that to Eugene if he didn't have to.

-Merida

Can I meet you in the parking lot? I cant wait to see you. ;)

Jack smiled, and texted back.

-Jack

Sure, I will be parking on the west side. Be prepared I am dressing to make an impression.

-Merida

Dont worry, rumors are still flying about what you said to Yzma. Youll make an impression just showing up.

Dressing how?

-Jack

I just came from the fashion center of the world where I spent two weeks with my uncle who is so rich he has solid gold toilets, and my aunt who is usually very frugal but has an itchy trigger finger when it comes to make overs and clothes... How do you think I am going to dress? :P