Meeting the Parents

Jack walked up to Merida's door, he had been on dates before with the English Princess Elsa, but they were façade's to hide the true purposes of the Order of the First Frost, which took the edge off. He and Elsa had always enjoyed their time together but they always had a purpose as they searched for corruption, eavesdropped for information, or just planed on being distracting for an alibi while their people were at work. The strategic events were for all arguable purposes: "dates," and he had grown closer to Elsa because of them. As they worked more and more, they felt more natural and more like courtship, but he had never been on a date for the sake of being on a date before.

Jack and Cole were nervous, and once again Cole was thanking the Almighty God that his clueless hands weren't fumbling around in the driver's seat.

Jack rolled his eyes at him, but at least admitted that he had some training in propriety and courtship, however he had no way of knowing how far that would go in this universe. He clutched the flowers that he had bought, he had asked Zie if he should get them, and she nearly attacked him and swooned at the same time insisting that he should. So he bought red roses because they reminded him of Merida's red hair.

He swallowed hard and knocked on the oversized door and his wonder as to why it was so large were quickly answered. There was a strange step thump, step thump, that approached the door and Jack's jaw couldn't have fallen lower in frightful surprise if North himself came charging in at him in full battle regalia when the door opened.

"So you must be the laddie I've been hearing 'bout all evening." The man in the doorway eclipsed all but a fraction of light that came from the modest hallway chandelier hanging behind him. He was easily three times Jack's size and could even Dwarf North in sheer muscle mass if they stood side by side. Jack's natural fight over flight instinct that was usually so reliable, urged his legs to spin around and run.

"Yes sir, my name is Cole Deaux, I am here to pick up Merida." Jack fought every urge he had to shake in fear, but couldn't help the slight quiver in his voice that the man raised an eyebrow when he caught wind of it.

"My name is Fergus and I am Merida's father, please come in, I've been expecting you," Fergus's face was in a displeased glower and his voice promised so many threats that Jack's legs almost wouldn't move to take him into the house. Fergus wielded a cane and when he stepped out of the way to let Jack in he put enough weight on it that Jack could see it bend. "Please wait in the living room, Merida is still getting ready." Fergus motioned with his free hand to the room to his right with a larger than average entryway that contained a modest amount of furniture that looked well used. Behind him was a staircase that ran along the wall in the hallway to the upper floor and on the opposite side of the hallway from the living room was a doorway to a room with a large table and six place chairs wrapped around its shape. As Jack walked in and turned toward the living room he noticed there was a small step down from the hallway to the living room and he handled it with ease.

When Jack stepped into the living room he took his place standing around the couches, he didn't want to be rude and accidentally sit in the master-of-the-house's seat. That was when he heard the crashing sound of a tree falling and turned around to see Fergus on the ground, he hadn't taken the living room step as gracefully as Jack had.

Jacks face blanched and he dropped the roses onto one of the couches and rushed over to Fergus, "are you alright sir?"

"Do I look alright, help me up lad." Fergus commanded authoritatively.

"Um sir-"

"Yes?"

"Uh-"

"Well spit it out laddie!"