Confessions Part one

Jack looked through the tattered curtains into the lamp lit street from the abandoned house. He sipped his Gatorade, careful not to cast a shadow against the window.

"Come on Cole, I can do breathing and meditation on my own, when are you going to teach me how to cast spells and make butterfly's out of snow?" Elsa whined behind him.

Elsa was sitting on a yoga mat they had brought and was sitting with her legs crossed in a t-shirt and jeans.

Jack turned around. "This isn't witchcraft." Jack chuckled at the thought. "This is nature, power that ebbs and flows with your emotions and desires. And it isn't the same for everybody, there was another ice thrower before you. She had some natural talent and like you, she was hesitant to use her powers, 'terrified' is probably the better word. I had to provoke her and make her blast the entire North Pole with the storm of the century before she loosed up. Besides everyone is gifted differently, she and you are able to melt the ice you create and even some you don't. I myself, can use the wind to create enormous storm flurries that can devastate half a continent if I let it get out of hand."

"Have you?" Elsa's eyes swirled with wonder.

Jack smiled and responded by sipping his Gatorade again.

Elsa rolled her eyes, there was still so much that he wasn't telling her, wouldn't tell her. When it came to training her he was an open book of tips, analogies, and hallmark 'sage-like' quotes. But when it came to anything about his past and experiences with his powers he kept a tight lip, almost like it never happened. In fact, he must be some kind of self-control master with his unfathomable capacity for power and to have never showed any signs of it, not even when he was beaten to a pulp by Hans and his crew.

"Ok, but riddle me this, Cole. Who is this girl you met? You've talked about her a handful of times in the last three weeks we've been training, since that day in the restroom." Elsa leaned forward, resting her elbows on her knees.

"I've already told you that every Ice thrower wields their power differently, knowing more about her won't help your training."

"What training? We meet every other night, and half the time we aren't even using our powers, we are talking about theory and rules and breathing and meditation."

"We are training because you want to be able to go through life like a normal person right? Learning self-control is the first step."

"But-"

"Make no mistake! I am not teaching you how to bury your feelings and emotions so you become an empty husk too afraid to show the least bit of release, but in the future when I tell you to stop you need to know how to stop. Not like a train on a greasy rail, but like a bullet hitting a wall." Jack summoned a snowball in the blink of an eye when he cocked his arm and threw it. It sailed at Elsa's face. Elsa flinched, closing her eyes and waiting for impact... but nothing. She opened her eyes to see a glass hummingbird fluttering in front of her face before exploding into millions of tiny snowflakes.

"Real power is not about how big a snow flurry you can make or being able to stop one, it's about being able to make someone else smile. I will teach you how to effectively wield your powers but what I want to teach you is how to use your powers selflessly to make others happy. That comes with control not magical wordy spells." Jack sipped his Gatorade.

Elsa shook her head. "No, you always do this."

"Do what?"

"Whenever I ask about the other girl you always deflect and change the subject. I want to know more about her so that I know that I have a fighting chance at a regular life."