... and keeps getting worse...

How could I be so stupid!

Jack beat himself up even more than Mor'du and Drago did. Elsa had a boyfriend! And to make it worse: it was Eugene, the man he had watched die for him.

"For the Order!" Eugene's last words still haunted him. He could have said anything; for the King, freedom, charge, anything! No, his last words were for the Order that Jack had invented. It was still fresh in his mind, heck it had practically happened yesterday.

Jack couldn't decide which pain was worse: Elsa abandoning him and loving someone else, or his guilt over Eugene's death. To add insult to injury, he had lost control and allowed himself to be swept up in the moment, and got in a fight with Hans and his lackeys. Jack looked up for a second to see them on the opposite side of the waiting area glaring at him.

"Mor'du, Drago, you are excused but you are suspended for the rest of the day grab what you need and go home." A woman wearing a purple pantsuit came out of her office and talked to them. She could only be described as 'scary beyond all reason' with black hair and too much make up she was truly a sight to be feared. Yzma, the vice principal. "Cole, we are waiting for your parents."

Jack's face blanched, he watched as Mor'du and Drago made obscene gestures as they left practically scotch free.

Today was one of the worst days of his life. He buried his face into his hands and tried not to sob. He couldn't pursue Elsa now. He couldn't bring himself to do that to Eugene, hadn't he done enough to him... hims... them...? This universe thing was making his head hurt on top of everything. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one side this wasn't his Elsa, on the other side without this Elsa he'd never see his Elsa again.

He wasn't going to break them up, that was a level of evil that Jack wouldn't touch. Was he just going to have to live here without her? It was a fate worse than death but he couldn't live with himself if he screwed over Eugene again. So many things were wrong, just wrong, but he couldn't force Elsa to love him. It didn't mean he had to live completely without her. He could still be her friend, after all that was how it started. And maybe just maybe he could wait them out. He couldn't even finish the thought, he was better than that. He couldn't win!

Now Jack wished that he had Mor'du and Drago back, he could take out his frustrations and actually throw a few punches this time. His heart felt like it would never be whole, the love of his life was gone and there was nothing he could do about it. He wanted to throw up, High School officially sucked.

Jack heard the door open, Zie, Jaq, and Gus came in and handed him his torn backpack, inside of it his stuff was a mess. They patted him on the back and tried to console him, but he was too absorbed in his misery to acknowledge them too much more than just saying thank you. He was pretty sure his face wasn't fit for viewing, and he couldn't bring himself to look at Zie it might break him. No wonder Cole had kept his hair long, he had used it.

His friends left but the door opened again after they were gone. Jack felt someone looking at him as if they were trying to get the courage to talk to him.

"Hey, um Cole?" the voice was sweet and tender, he recognized it. It wasn't Elsa it was... Merida?

Jack cleared the lump in his throat and looked up careful to keep the hair over his bruises. "Hmm?" Was all that he could say, hoping that his voice wouldn't betray his emotions.

"I brought you your poetry from earlier. It didn't have your name on it, but I recognized the handwriting." Merida held out the sheet of lined paper.

Jacks face went beat read. Just when he thought today couldn't get any worse. Please not have read it. Jack wished, his hand was shaking as he took the paper from her.

"I hope you don't mind that I read it, I couldn't help it." She smiled slyly.

Oh no. My life is over. Jack hung his head in defeat it wasn't possible for today to get any worse.

"I really liked it, I didn't know you were such a talented poet."

Jack looked up surprised. "You, mean you're not...?"

"Not what, mad, surprised, embarrassed?" She felt the blood rushing to her cheeks, she caught a glimpse of the sadness and shock in his eyes and she just wanted to hold him. But it was too soon. "I am mad that you didn't show it to me sooner, it almost made me cry it was that good."

Jack was too stunned to say anything he wasn't quite sure how this was going to end but he couldn't help but notice how pretty she was. She only grew that much cuter when she looked him in the eyes when she talked to him with her face flushed.

She got really nervous and started playing with her soft red curls. Merida hadn't realized how nervous she would be when she did this, what if she was wrong? She looked at the floor to gather her thoughts and then back at Cole. "I was wondering if maybe I could get your number, and maybe," she rubbed her arm shyly, she grew increasing aware of how grungy she was in the clothes she wore to work in the workshop today. "You know, you and I could do something sometime?" she closed her eyes as if she preparing herself to plunge into cold water.

"Um..." Jack had no idea what was happening, was she asking him out? A smile reached his eyes, she was asking him out! A pretty girl just asked him out! She hadn't rejected him or sought to destroy his chances with Elsa, she was here to get her own chance... with him. In that moment he forgot about how miserable he had been a second ago. "Yes! I mean sure, yes, ya." He wasn't sure how to respond to a date invitation, it was the first time he had ever been asked out in three hundred years.

"Great!" Merida was thrilled, it was obvious Cole was eager too. She got his number and left before she said anything stupid.

Jack's phone buzzed.

(Unknown Number)

Hey. It's Merida I will text you after school.

Good luck with the principal ;)

Jack grinned and saved the number and responded. Maybe High School didn't suck.

Cole: Thanks I will need it. I think only ymza is here today.

Merida: Yikes, then extra good luck.

The door opened again, Jacks smile disappeared as he realized the full gravity of the situation. His father walked in the door with his work clothes.

Oh ya, now I am screwed. High School officially sucks.