I'd Leave Alone...

The clock strikes the second hour of the morning and a quiet sigh leaves me. I sit with a cold coffee in my hand, the bags under my eyes have already formed. Villains pass by me, cuffed and shackled. I don't dare to make eye contact. I don't want to see the anger in their eyes—the look of defeat and confusion about what happened.

The last thing I want is to remember that day.

"Flare," A voice announces across from me.

I look up to see Endeavor standing with his arms folded over his chest. There is a displeased look on his face. Nothing out of the ordinary. This is the same facial expression that's greeted me ever since that day. I guess he lost hope for me in the end as well.

"Can I finally go home?" I ask.

"Yes," he answers sternly. "I would advise you not to get yourself involved in a situation like that again."

I stand up, dropping the coffee cup in the trash, not caring about its contents. "What? Trying to help? Trying to do my job as a hero?"

"Being alone down a dark alley with a villain." He states.

"Noted," I snort as I stare down into the trash.

"You had so much potential as a child." He turns his back on me. "Pity you wasted it."

With that, he walks out of the hero station and I'm left standing in a dim waiting room. I stare at myself in the reflection. I don't look like much of a hero. My quirk doesn't exactly help people, all it does is destroy.

Maybe this hero life isn't cut out for me...

I shake the thought from my head and step out into the cool early morning air. The streets have been abandoned by all life even the villains have called it a night. Finally the peace I have been seeking all night.

The walk home seems eerily quiet, no people, not even a stray cat makes an appearance. I keep my guard up as I sneak down alleyways and dark streets. I may not be well known but I have made a few enemies over the years.

My small apartment is dark and cold as I kick off my boots. My feet pad across the cool wooden floors as I head for the balcony. I pull the door open and gaze up at the murky black sky, admiring it for a moment.

The smell of smoke lingers across my skin as a breeze blows past me. I slip back inside for a moment, discarding my heatproof clothing and into something more comfortable. It's going to be a while before sleep actually takes over.

I move back onto the balcony in nothing but an oversized shirt and underwear. I relax for the first time in the last couple of hours. Resting my head against the metal bars of the balcony frame, all I can think about is Touya.

I give myself a quick pinch to ensure that this isn't one of my messed-up nightmares where I wake up in cold sweat and covered in scorch marks.

The pain brings some kind of pleasant reminder that everything that has happened tonight was in fact real.

But it also brings a wave of confusion and frustration with it. After all of these years of thinking Touya was dead after I mourned the loss of my friend, he suddenly appears. Alive and kicking as much as the last day I saw him.

I don't quite seem to know how to process all of this though.

"Touya, you idiot," I whisper into the darkness.

A hand suddenly appears through the railing of my balcony. I jump letting out a small yelp. A dark form pulls itself over, dropping down in front of me. My hands glow from the plasma pulsing through them.