Was It Obvious To Everybody Else

Dabi and I sit crouched on the roof of a building, watching over the city. We have been sitting in silence for the last hour, just watching and waiting.

"Do you really think Stain is here? It seems pretty quiet." I whisper to him.

He keeps his eyes fixed on the city. "That's what that guy said."

"Can we really trust him? He did attack us."

"We'll find out but Stain is the one I want to speak to."

A loud explosion comes from a couple of blocks over. Dabi and I both snap our heads in that direction. We stay put and watch as another explosion follows it. 

"What do you think it is?" I ask.

"Maybe heroes fighting," Dabi suggests. 

"Should we go check it out?"

He shakes his head. "No, remember we are only here to observe. We can't let you be seen."

Another explosion sounds from below us followed by the shouts of heroes. Dabi and I creep to the edge of the building to check out. Down below there are two creatures fighting off a couple of heroes.

"Nomu?" I whisper.

"What the hell is a Nomu?"

"Those two ugly-looking things down there. That Shigaraki guy brought one with him when he broke into UA. Though these ones look a little different from the last." I explain.

"Are they strong?"

I give a small nod. "They sure are. All Might had trouble fighting just one so these heroes don't stand much of a chance."

A green-haired teenager catches my attention. I watch as one of UA's students runs down the street. Dabi follows my gaze and watches him with me.

"Do you know him?"

"He's a student from the school. I guess he's here on an internship."

"Wrong place, wrong time." He comments. "We should follow him and see where he's going."

"After you," I motion with my head.

Dabi and I manage to keep track of the kid. We find him in the alleyway face to face with no other than Stain. 

Dabi grabs the back of my shirt, pulling me closer to him to keep us hidden in the shadow of another building. "Stay close and don't say a thing." He whispers to me.

I give a small nod as we watch the fight unfold in front of us. Stain doesn't waste any time stopping the green-haired boy. 

Apart of me feels the urge to jump down and stop the kids from fighting. Dabi keeps a tight grip on me, ensuring I don't do anything.

Fire erupts down the alleyway aiming for Stain. He manages to dodge in time. 

"Endeavor." Dabi hisses.

A boy walks out of the shadows of the alleyway. It's not Endeavor, it's Shoto. I feel Dabi's grip tighten on me.

I place a hand over his, trying to calm down his nerves. He was worried about me but now I'm concerned about what he might do.

"Calm down," I whisper to him.

"I am calm." He says through clenched teeth.

The two boys start fighting Stain, I'm actually impressed at what they can do. A wave of nostalgia comes over me, making me squeeze Dabi's hand. I remember interning and training to fight villains. I just wished Touya had been beside me through all of it.

"If that brat is here that means Endeavor's here," Dabi whispers to me.

"Don't do anything stupid," I say to him.

The three boys fight tirelessly against Stain as we watch silently from the shadows. Dabi becoming more and more restless by the moment. I don't dare move my hand away from his. 

I remember the days that Touya would confide in me about Shoto. How he despised his younger brother for getting a better quirk than him and taking his father's attention away. 

I would always just listen. Shoto was merely a child, I could see that. I remember how afraid he would look whenever Endeavor approached him. Their home was not a happy home.

I guess that was when Dabi was born and not after Touya died. The hatred that festered inside of him.

The boys quickly overpower Stain and he is knocked out cold, lying motionless in the alleyway. They tie him up and start to drag him away. 

"I can't believe three students took him down." I turn to face Dabi.

There is fury in his eyes and if looks could kill I would be dead. He moves away from him, ripping his hand from mine. 

"That bastard," He mutters as he walks over to the edge of the building looking down on the kids. "He has to ruin everything."

"Dabi," I start.

He snaps his head around at me. "Don't start! I'm not in the mood to listen to you whine like usual." He spits as blue flames ignite in his hands.

I'm not surprised by his outburst but that doesn't mean what he said doesn't hurt. I hold his gaze for a moment as silence washes between us.

I let out a snort. "Nothing has changed, has it? Still blaming him for your father's choices." I spit back. 

Hatred burns in Dabi's eyes as he starts to move toward me. "How dare you? He's the reason I turned into this." He slams his hand into his chest our eyes not breaking contact. "They are both to blame for this thing I've become."

"No, Shoto isn't!" I keep my voice low, still very aware of the heroes below us. "He was and still is just a child. He didn't ask for any of this." I hold my ground.

Dabi is face to face with me now, his flames licking the sides of my arms. "You still don't know when to shut up. Always having to share whatever's on your mind."

"Then I'll leave. Do as you please, as you've always had. Just don't come running to me when the shit hits the fan." I hiss, turning my back to him.

The stairs in the building echo my footsteps. Just one set of footsteps though meaning he hasn't followed after me. I want to go back there and yell at him, let my anger out just as he had. 

But what would that achieve?

I stick to the darkness avoiding any heroes. I make it back to the abandoned house. It's cold inside and for the first time in weeks, I feel alone. 

My body drops down onto the futon and I stare up at the ceiling. The paint is chipping away around an old water stain. I raise my hands up as though reaching out to touch it.

"Did I make a mistake?" I whisper to the dark. "Should I have just run away from everything instead?"

Silence answers my question and I let my arms drop back down beside me. Tears sting the corners of my eyes but I push them back down. Crying isn't going to accomplish anything. I have to live with my decisions now.

Heavy footsteps ring through the quiet house. A shadow moves into the doorway and stares at me.

"You look comfortable." It comments.

I roll over and face away without another word. I close my eyes, curling into a ball to preserve my body heat. 

"You look cold for someone who has a heat-based quirk." The footsteps move closer to me.

"I would burn down buildings if I slept with my quirk activated," I grumble, not really in the mood to speak with him.

"So, you're just gonna freeze tonight?" He asks.

I give a slight shrug. "I'll get up if I get too cold."

"Suit yourself. And, if you wanted to know I didn't end up doing anything. I just watched." He says before he walks out.

I half turn to check if he's really gone and I'm alone in the room. A shiver runs through my body as I'm reminded it's a cold night.